Mordhau

5 suggestions

3234 4264
  • 19 Sep '17
 Havoc
  • Make morphs have a stamina cost

• Update animations to be more aggressive in showing both the user and other players when hit tracers are actually active (example being stabs not receding quickly enough after the hit tracer is gone)

• Allow players to morph chamber attempts to attempt to chamber morphs

• Make attack movement speed acceleration based off of armor tier, scaling down the heavier the armor tier is

• Make the very beginning and very end of an attack animation have reduced damage

Duke 356 384
  • 19 Sep '17
 AFluffyKnight

Morph will have stamina cost. A screen shot of crushed saying that was posted in another thread.

Reduced damage at the beginning of an attack will not happen. That's what the windup animation is for. The end of the animation, you might have an argument for that.

42 54
  • 19 Sep '17
 Sverth

Solid suggestions i agree with all of them except the heavy armor one. Heavy armor is OP atm but i don't think we should nerf armor/weapons until we get the perk system

Knight 697 1611
  • 19 Sep '17
 das

Reducing weapon damage in the earliest frame doesn't fix the problem anyways, which is getting hit and flinched in the first place at a speed that's presumably unfair/unreadable.

Knight 399 872
  • 19 Sep '17
 Alphonse

@Havoc said:

• Make the very beginning and very end of an attack animation have reduced damage

Remember when people said having differentiated damage for the shaft and the bladed portion of pole arms was a bad idea due to inconsistencies and player perception?

Well...

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 19 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

And every time we shat on "realistic" swing damage

3234 4264
  • 19 Sep '17
 Havoc

@Alphonse said:

@Havoc said:

Remember when people said having differentiated damage for the shaft and the bladed portion of pole arms was a bad idea due to inconsistencies and player perception?

Well...

That's fundamentally different.

Knight 399 872
  • 19 Sep '17
 Alphonse

@Havoc said:

Not really. Both have to do with your perception and you can't read 50-100 ms consistently.

Say an attack's release is 400 ms. You suggest to reduce the damage for the first 50 and late 50 ms, making the "sweetspot" the 300 ms in the middle. It'd be inconsistent as fuck cause you wouldn't know for sure when the hit actually registered which could affect the gameplay element of knowing how many more blows do you need to kill the other fucker. HTK is paramount in all FPS games.

Also, stabs. Why would the last 50 ms of a non dragged thrust be less damaging than the preceding 51 miliseconds when you're carrying pretty much the same momentum? The last bit of the player model animation (not the arms, I'm talking about torso and feet) at the end of release isn't exactly great for reading what's happening either.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 19 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

@Havoc said:

@Alphonse said:

@Havoc said:

Well...

So your suggestion isn't a bad idea due to inconsistencies and player perception?

3234 4264
  • 19 Sep '17
 Havoc

@Sir Zombie said:

@Havoc said:

@Alphonse said:

@Havoc said:

Well...

So your suggestion isn't a bad idea due to inconsistencies and player perception?

I never said it wasn't a bad idea, the reduced damage is an idea to mitigate the tactic of forcing the weapon model into another player during wind-up so the hitracter connects instantly as well as hitting players with the very end of a drag tracer, like when doing near 360 swings with a zweihander.

In terms of the sweet spot mechanics, which were abundant in roses, that relies more on distance based footwork (in theory), but was abused due to being able to manipulate your swings similar to drags, and angeling the starting point of the swing, meaning an experienced player could essentially hit with the sweet spot of their polearms within any reaching distance.

Knight 14 15
  • 19 Sep '17
 .Bones

I like this list, but most importantly I agree with no.3 - chambering morphs.

Knight 337 777
  • 19 Sep '17
 AngelEyes

I like this list. Every suggestion actually.

Knight 697 1611
  • 19 Sep '17
 das

3 might make the game too easy, you have to think about how easy/difficult things will be years down the road.

I don't like 5 for the same reason as many others, it makes for inconsistent play. Fix the actual underlying problem instead, which are whatever attacks are deemed unreadable/too fast/poorly animated.

1 and 2 are objective improvements.

4 is probably good, possibly not if perks are that much of a game changer or if it makes playing plate feel dreadful.

56 179
  • 19 Sep '17
 GandaPestile

I agree with 1. Only in the case where it is a very small stamina cost, and of course morphing your chamber shouldn't cost stamina. However I think the real solution to punish morph spam is to change your playstyle rather than institutionalise punishment by default.