Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Alpha Build #4 Discussion Thread

Baron 1226 1617
  • 19 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

@YOLANDIVISSER said:

That's why you get really high and join a duel server for a couple hours ONLY focusing on chambering. Then sleep.

Most improvement I've had in a night

We should definitely organize a Mordy pot night where all players are stoned ^^

273 444
  • 19 Sep '17
 YOLANDIVISSER

@Knight Nicholas said:

@greyfox said:
I think it's a really good decision to punish a jumping style. Jumping around like crazy just doesn't fit in the game.

It's already punished
Tim and I were alone in a tdm server yesterday and he was fucking around spamming jump for shits and giggles- his stamina got drained so hard that he was disarmed with every parry.

Tim frag is a silly frog

Knight 15 25
  • 19 Sep '17
 Gremp

I've generally felt more lag in this patch than the previous one. Using the median instead of the mean sounds like a good idea, but something doesn't really seem to work in practice in my case.

Knight 399 873
  • 19 Sep '17
 Alphonse

@YOLANDIVISSER said:
That's why you get really high and join a duel server for a couple hours ONLY focusing on chambering. Then sleep.

What are you talking about my dude? I had a BUG in the game where it would save my previous attack directions from minutes ago. Mid combat, the directions of my attacks were randomly out of my control when just LMBing while stationary, flicks also never worked consistently, no matter how much I practiced them, and you have no idea how many chambers I tried where the other guy probably thought I looked retarded (i.e., he throws a slash, I throw the wrong angle with an overhead).

Knight 162 231
  • 19 Sep '17
 Q

@Knight Nicholas said:

@greyfox said:
I think it's a really good decision to punish a jumping style. Jumping around like crazy just doesn't fit in the game.

It's already punished
Tim and I were alone in a tdm server yesterday and he was fucking around spamming jump for shits and giggles- his stamina got drained so hard that he was disarmed with every parry.

I should note that this was someone else with the same username. My username on Steam is not the same.

As Knight Nicholas said, jumping is punished by stamina cost. It was punished way too much in Chivalry (via stamina), in my opinion. I used jumping to great effect in Chivalry team-objective. Especially in 1vX. However entering a duel server with this playstyle, was often a mistake, mostly due to the flat level terrain. I found that I would often run out of stamina unless used very conservatively. Panic jumping was also a thing (in all game-modes), which tended to be no more effective than panic parrying.

I understand that you don't want people hopping around maps, like in Quake. Or, jumping out of being feinted, like in the low gravity Star Wars mod for Chivalry (I had a blast playing that mod though). As it just breaks realism, and like you said Greyfox, doesn't fit the game. Acrobatics exist in a most physical sports though, including combat sports. Football (soccer) for example, has such things as a bicycle-kick, or the infamous scorpion-kick. Or even just jumping over tackles. I have seen American footballers and rugby players do front flips (while holding the ball) over defending players. Tennis has trick-shots, and dives. And real combat is intrinsically acrobatic, especially at high level. Go watch some Bruce Lee, for example. I have seen people getting knocked out by such things as cartwheel kicks in MMA before. Acrobatic plays should not be punished. If anything they should be rewarded, as they can often require a lot of skill to pull off.

Countess 1233 2912
  • 19 Sep '17
 Whisper

I know balance isn't too much of a concern but it's just not fun. Polearms drags almost rival that of chivalrys in terms of look, but they can also accelerate into near instant hits. Coupled with the fact that everyone is in heavy armour it just isn't entertaining. The fact that sprinting in circles around each other is how you fight, it just looks absurd and goofy

Knight 93 270
  • 20 Sep '17
 Nikosawa

@crushed said:

@Stouty said:
I wouldn't recommend using Borderless Fullscreen as it made my gameplay feel like I'm losing frames despite maintaining 144fps. It's better to play fullscreen and not alt-tab during loading.

I've experienced the same, fullscreen runs/feels much smoother. We'll have to look into this

i cant stream unless i play borderless. obs is just not picking up the game for some reason. updated obs studio, still no stream without borderless. tips anybody ?

Baron 582 972
  • 20 Sep '17
 lash

I used obs to record few videos and I use fullscreen.

I used "record game" option, specific window - mordhau

12 7
  • 20 Sep '17
 Grant

Most improvement I've had in a night

For sure. I did chamber only practice in a duel server for like 2 hours. Got crapped on for like 1 1/2 hours, but then I got 2nd place :)

Baron 134 315
  • 20 Sep '17
 2cool2care

@Nikosawa said:

@crushed said:

@Stouty said:
I wouldn't recommend using Borderless Fullscreen as it made my gameplay feel like I'm losing frames despite maintaining 144fps. It's better to play fullscreen and not alt-tab during loading.

I've experienced the same, fullscreen runs/feels much smoother. We'll have to look into this

i cant stream unless i play borderless. obs is just not picking up the game for some reason. updated obs studio, still no stream without borderless. tips anybody ?

Are you using the setting "capture a specific window"+mordhau.exe ? I have no pb using "capture any fullscreen app".

1090 6149
  • 20 Sep '17
 crushed — Art

This topic has been unpinned.

Knight 936 952
  • 20 Sep '17
 afiNity

Since this patch Im getting bad fps on camp

Knight 93 270
  • 20 Sep '17
 Nikosawa

@2cool2care said:

@Nikosawa said:

@crushed said:

@Stouty said:

Are you using the setting "capture a specific window"+mordhau.exe ? I have no pb using "capture any fullscreen app".

Yes tried that :(

Count 671 1131
  • 20 Sep '17
 Zexis

@Whisper said:
I know balance isn't too much of a concern but it's just not fun. Polearms drags almost rival that of chivalrys in terms of look, but they can also accelerate into near instant hits. Coupled with the fact that everyone is in heavy armour it just isn't entertaining. The fact that sprinting in circles around each other is how you fight, it just looks absurd and goofy

halberbs oh fuggg :DDD

used it for the first time yesterday and it's amazing how much better I was doing in team fights just by switching gear. maybe the bic drags and reach click more with our chiv playstyles?

anyways, mordhau is in a state right now where it has a lot of potential and it's only going to get better. but as of right now, chivalry is the more fun game. I boot up mordhau knowing it's maybe not the most fun game I could be playing, but I think it can be before too long

Knight 445 1074
  • 20 Sep '17
 Knight Nicholas

Devs unpinned this thread
Does that mean Build #5 is...

soon?
Knight 697 1611
  • 20 Sep '17
 das

Since this game has moon jumps, I think I'll start using it versus stab -> overhead foot drag morphs. Wait out the stab, chamber the overhead early, if it turns out to not chamber that means he's gonna hit your foot so jump and make him whiff. Jump stamina < whiff + CFTP or getting hit, and the attempted overhead means you're not going to get hit on head or torso if he doesn't drag.

Wonder if this works.

1315 2881
  • 20 Sep '17
 Monsteri

@Knight Nicholas said:
Devs unpinned this thread
Does that mean Build #5 is...

soon?

It's either that or the subforum front page being so full of pinned posts that you can barely see any new threads