Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Alpha Build #4 Discussion Thread

Knight 83 115
  • 18 Sep '17
 Mufflin

@Meph said:
Shield hitbox can now be kicked when it is equipped (whether holding block or not doesn't matter).

Can someone explain this line to me?

I think it means that if they have a shield but aren't blocking with it then you can still kick it whereas I assume before the shield just acted like it wasn't there so you had to kick their body instead.

So it should make fighting shields easier.

Baron 291 224
  • 18 Sep '17
 Esa1996

Thank you for the 240 aiming change! Like people have already mentioned the new system works really well compared to the old. The other changes are nice too but this was always destined to take precedence over anything in my mind.

Knight 27 33
  • 18 Sep '17
 PinkiePowPowMSK

PUT BACK THE FEINT RIPOSTE LOL - agreisf

301 875
  • 18 Sep '17
 Naleaus

The new 240 system works much better for me. I can actually chamber slashes now. Badly, but it's better than before.

111 131
  • 18 Sep '17
 Bang

Wouldn't a 25ms nerf be pretty much negligible? That's 1/40th of a second.

1315 2881
  • 18 Sep '17
 Monsteri

@Bang said:
Wouldn't a 25ms nerf be pretty much negligible? That's 1/40th of a second.

It mostly gets rid of those slow motion toe shots that do full damage and look silly.

Knight 212 781
  • 18 Sep '17
 Anal Error

Double KO's and draw matches in next patch and i'm happy about this game.

Militia 44 50
  • 18 Sep '17
 Sareth

Mouse attack angling now angles after detecting movement after button press, or until button is released, same as it works in MnB/Wotr

I don't find the "or until button is released" option, so does this mean that after a keypress, it checks if the mouse moves and takes that angle or if no movement occurs. takes the angle before the click? Or am I overlooking something?

At any rate, it does feel a lot more consistent.

96 128
  • 18 Sep '17
 Reapy

Same question on the movement. (Have to wait to get home to try, arg). I'm not sure how the swing picking is going but ideally it would be good to 'lock in' your swing as soon as you press LMB on button down. Basically when you click that is it, you've whipped your mouse, clicked the button down, and you are done with the swing selection process and are into turning your view or manipulating your swing at that point. After the click, even on hold, you probably don't want to have your swing adjusted.

Anyway this is pretty awesome and quick turn around.

Just need some stabs when I look down for my life to be complete, though am getting used to the button. It's funny how everyone from chiv saying the thrust chambers are the easiest and swings are hard while I find it the opposite while I'm learning, to realize I have another attack button for some cases.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 18 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

Good job on the 240 system!

18 59
  • 18 Sep '17
 jest

It seems like the 240 pie-slice angle distribution's been messed up this patch. Right vertical-attacks have larger detection slices, while the left-verticals are much narrower as a result.

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/10724/patch-4-unevenbugged-gesture-distribution-angles/#c1

Duke 89 89
  • 18 Sep '17
 Elko

Feels like I don't need to wait for heal anymore after winning a fight. Very nice.

Oh and you forgot:

public override bool ShouldCompileMonolithic(UnrealTargetPlatform InPlatform, UnrealTargetConfiguration InConfiguration)
{
    return false;
}
273 444
  • 19 Sep '17
 YOLANDIVISSER

THANK GOD FOR BEING ABLE TO KICK SHIELDS! This has saved me so much misery.

12 7
  • 19 Sep '17
 Grant

Yeah, the abundance of QoL changes along with reasonable balance tweaks is really nice.

The game feels better every patch! No joke!

Knight 162 231
  • 19 Sep '17
 Q

I don't think punishing jumps with extra damage to legs is a good idea. As it punishes acrobatic plays in general, and makes jumping over attacks too much of a gamble.

Head-bob is still massive. Maybe option to disable it entirely. Not to be confused with weapon-bob.

FOV on the weapons is really low, even at high FOV. Changing FOV/camera distance doesn't seem to have much effect on how close they are to the screen.

8 6
  • 19 Sep '17
 TarsusDK

Why remove the riposte feint?

was it OP?

as a newbie it was one of the few tools in my arsenal that i could use against the "pros" and stand a chance of winning, so obviously i would like it back

Knight 399 872
  • 19 Sep '17
 Alphonse

NEVER-FUCKING-MIND. The culprit was the Flip X-Axis option in Controls. It seems like I can flick just fine in this build, but only with that option disabled (maybe a tad of spaghetti code caused it and I had tried it with ON/OFF before build #4).

Edit; Just wanted to confirm the game plays completely different when you can stop fearing the wrong attack will come (I used to focus more on my weapon than on my opponent's and I wasted a bunch of stamina from having to cftp the wrong almost every time I LMB'd)

My problem with LMBing and hoping the attack would come out at eye level is still pretty bad (because Imo it should work as a predefined attack since there's no lateral or vertical input when the button ON-BUTTON PRESS or ON-RELEASE, or at least that's what I'd expect. Maybe it's just that I didn't understand it?

I will not attack for a full minute while moving around them map and the first LMB I'll send will be something I don't even remember. It saves my previous direction or it changes just for moving the cursor only slightly to the left or to the right prior to clicking it.

I can chamber stabs much better because well, they're stabs. Side chambers are also kind of easier from what I've seen from players, but I will not even consider them from being too afraid my direction will be flipped or I'll throw an upper strike, even though I held my mouse as still as a statue when I clicked.

As a result, my most effective attacks in combat are the ones I had in Chivalry.

I literally feel like every strike chamber I do manage to pull is a gamble or pure luck. It takes so much brain power that morphing these side chambers is literally light years far from me.

273 444
  • 19 Sep '17
 YOLANDIVISSER

@Alphonse said:
NEVER-FUCKING-MIND. The culprit was the Flip X-Axis option in Controls. It seems like I can flick just fine in this build, but only with that option disabled (maybe a tad of spaghetti code caused it and I had tried it with ON/OFF before build #4).

Edit; Just wanted to confirm the game plays completely different when you can stop fearing the wrong attack will come (I used to focus more on my weapon than on my opponent's and I wasted a bunch of stamina from having to cftp the wrong almost every time I LMB'd)

My problem with LMBing and hoping the attack would come out at eye level is still pretty bad (because Imo it should work as a predefined attack since there's no lateral or vertical input when the button ON-BUTTON PRESS or ON-RELEASE, or at least that's what I'd expect. Maybe it's just that I didn't understand it?

I will not attack for a full minute while moving around them map and the first LMB I'll send will be something I don't even remember. It saves my previous direction or it changes just for moving the cursor only slightly to the left or to the right prior to clicking it.

I can chamber stabs much better because well, they're stabs. Side chambers are also kind of easier from what I've seen from players, but I will not even consider them from being too afraid my direction will be flipped or I'll throw an upper strike, even though I held my mouse as still as a statue when I clicked.

As a result, my most effective attacks in combat are the ones I had in Chivalry.

I literally feel like every strike chamber I do manage to pull is a gamble or pure luck. It takes so much brain power that morphing these side chambers is literally light years far from me.

That's why you get really high and join a duel server for a couple hours ONLY focusing on chambering. Then sleep.

Most improvement I've had in a night

Knight 63 88
  • 19 Sep '17
 greyfox

I think it's a really good decision to punish a jumping style. Jumping around like crazy just doesn't fit in the game.

Knight 445 1074
  • 19 Sep '17
 Knight Nicholas

@greyfox said:
I think it's a really good decision to punish a jumping style. Jumping around like crazy just doesn't fit in the game.

It's already punished
Tim and I were alone in a tdm server yesterday and he was fucking around spamming jump for shits and giggles- his stamina got drained so hard that he was disarmed with every parry.