Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Parries, Ripostes, and Recovery

Mercenary 51 50
  • 18 Sep '17
 Uktuli

Delay to attack after being parried should be increased. With a slower weapon equipped, I can get hit by the player I just parried before my riposte can even go through. And if you slightly miss the riposte window vs an aggressive player and simply attack? Good luck.

As it is, you can relentlessly attack after getting parried and still flinch all but the best players.

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 18 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

I've only had that happen when I tried to delay my riposte. I'm pretty sure if you hit them with the beginning of the swing they can't interrupt you even if you have a slow weapon.

Knight 627 2068
  • 18 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

Attacks can be accelerated to absurd speeds. That is the issue. You can swing with an arming sword before the enemy swings with a zweihander, and likely he will hit you first due to the insane acceleration.

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 18 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

Swing manipulation is a big part of games of this genre. You'll get used to it.

Knight 627 2068
  • 18 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

Why do you people think in binary where a mechanic either exists or is completely removed? A minor adjustment is all that is required.

Mercenary 51 50
  • 18 Sep '17
 Uktuli

@ThunderDuck said:

Having come here from Chivalry, I understand drags. But if the only way to beat an aggressive opponent to the punch after parrying him is to accelerate a riposte, something's wrong.

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 18 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

@Uktuli said:

@ThunderDuck said:

Having come here from Chivalry, I understand drags. But if the only way to beat an aggressive opponent to the punch after parrying him is to accelerate a riposte, something's wrong.

An accelerated riposte is pretty basic as far as the meta is concerned. I know exactly the type of player you are talking about and doing this always works against them.

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 18 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

@LuxCandidus said:
Why do you people think in binary where a mechanic either exists or is completely removed? A minor adjustment is all that is required.

Who are you talking to? Did I suggest anything were to be removed/ignored?

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 18 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

Kicking a really spamming opponent usually works well

Knight 697 1611
  • 18 Sep '17
 das

If they're getting that aggressive, you have to do fastest riposte and accel possible to keep them honest and not give them free tempo. And parrying isn't your only option, even if it is the easiest.

If it's a huge speed mismatchup, all the slow weapons have alt grips that make them faster. People shit on these grips as "useless", but complain that 1hers and Longswords flinch them too easily.

Mercenary 51 50
  • 18 Sep '17
 Uktuli

@Sir Zombie said:

Can you riposte with a kick? I've never tried.

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 18 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

@Uktuli said:

@Sir Zombie said:

Can you riposte with a kick? I've never tried.

Yes

1315 2881
  • 18 Sep '17
 Monsteri

You should be completely fine on normal ripostes, the parry recovery time is 300ms (afaik) there is no chance that they will enter release phase before you do if they attack to your riposte. If you miss the riposte window, then they can indeed get the first hit with the faster weapon. I wouldn't want to increase the recovery time much, because then it becomes impossible to chamber ripostes.

Mercenary 51 50
  • 18 Sep '17
 Uktuli

@Monsteri said:
You should be completely fine on normal ripostes, the parry recovery time is 300ms (afaik) there is no chance that they will enter release phase before you do if they attack to your riposte. If you miss the riposte window, then they can indeed get the first hit with the faster weapon. I wouldn't want to increase the recovery time much, because then it becomes impossible to chamber ripostes.

Yeah, maybe I'm just missing the riposte more often than I realize. Or maybe I'm trying to drag a riposte too often instead of simply accelerating it. Thanks!