Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Is there something wrong here?

Knight 941 2569
  • 17 Sep '17
 Pred

Capture.PNG

As you can see, the sound of me getting hit is already playing before the weapon connects.

I had a huge problem in Chiv, where I would constantly take damage (and get the hit sound) from the strikes which hadn't connected yet, though situation like this would already be showing on my health bar (here it's not, yet). So, I'm wondering if I parried right at this moment, would the parry register or the sound starting means that damage is done?

My ping was somewhere in the 48-60 area, guy's ping was fine too.

988 6974
  • 17 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

Sound starting means damage is done, but are you sure that's not actually the release yell sound?

Knight 941 2569
  • 18 Sep '17
 Pred

@marox said:
but are you sure that's not actually the release yell sound?

Yes, release grunt is the flatter line before, hit is the more jumpy one.

It was almost identical for me in Chiv (it would also ignore the parry if I had one raised), my theory was that it was due to my shitty CPU (Intel G3220), so the problem is probably on my side.

Knight 936 952
  • 18 Sep '17
 afiNity

I indeed remember that this happened in Chiv sometimes

988 6974
  • 18 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

Don't take this as me brushing it off, but as for the explanation, my best guess would be that the attack packet arrived very late. By the time your client got it, some time might've passed, and the attack was already underway for some time on the server. Due to this, you're seeing the attack in the past. The attacks of other people are not currently adjusted for ping, so even if ping wasn't spiking (it's averaged, so it might not even show regardless), the actual packet might've arrived late anyway. It is definitely not due to your CPU.

Right now the game is not robust in terms of ping differences over a short period of time, especially big spikes. This problem would show up on your own attacks also as hitting too early, or getting blocked too early. The next step in the netcode would involve continuous compensation over a longer window, which should make this more robust.

Knight 941 2569
  • 18 Sep '17
 Pred

@marox said:
It is definitely not due to your CPU.

Due to the exact thing happening to me in Chiv all the time (while not happening to others almost ever, as far I could see on tons of footage), I think it's an issue on my side - I suspected CPU because it occured on 2 different GPUs and my connection has always seemed very solid, at least in other areas. So maybe it's the connection afterall.

This problem would show up on your own attacks also as hitting too early, or getting blocked too early.

I don't think they do, I would say I actually keep getting outgambled and outacceled on a consistent basis, but I might be wrong.

Thanks anyway, worst case scenario I will just sell my apartment and move to a country with confirmed no lag.

Baron 291 224
  • 18 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@Pred said:
Thanks anyway, worst case scenario I will just sell my apartment and move to a country with confirmed no lag.

Heh, such small steps you're planning to make the game more playable :D

Knight 941 2569
  • 15 Oct '17
 Pred

Digging up the thread.

I have massive problems parrying accelerated strikes so I started to look if I'm not taking damage before the hit again. I had situations where I see blood spatter appear before the weapon connects with me, but these are obvious and not THAT common. Below examples are more subtle but happen virtually all the time and I was getting suspicious about being often unable to parry attacks that were somewhat telegraphed, so I checked if the sound matches the picture.

The wave-y sound lines are the damage sounds that are already playing when the opponent weapon is not connecting yet. Health bar shows the damage usually about 0.03 seconds later - I'm not a game developer so I have no idea if this is just how it is and I'm maybe expecting too much or what but here it is:

Untitled.png

Hit sound playing:

1.png

Damage on health bar:

2.png

x.png

xx.png

This one is the worst here, hit sound already playing:

x1.png

Damage shows on health bar:
x2.png

396 454
  • 16 Oct '17
 JasonBourne

I have this problem too. I also had it in MW, but not so much in DW. I believe its game related.

Baron 291 224
  • 16 Oct '17
 Esa1996

Since the latest patch I've had this problem in online play too (Local play works normally and with pings below 80 I don't think it's ping). Never had it in WOTR or Chivalry. Patch 9 also made my game really unstable (It crashes around 50% of the time when loading a new match. Graphics settings seem to have an effect on this. Default settings make it crash occasionally, changing them too much makes it crash every time).

396 454
  • 17 Oct '17
 JasonBourne

Well done op for taking the time to research it in details. Alot of times I feel I get hit before anim reaches me. I hope the devs can fix this asap.

Knight 337 778
  • 17 Oct '17
 AngelEyes

@JasonBourne said:
Well done op for taking the time to research it in details. Alot of times I feel I get hit before anim reaches me. I hope the devs can fix this asap.

I've noticed it. Can't say I've played that much since build #9 but 100% something is wrong with stabs.

Not all of the time, I saw someone in chat saying something about thrusts off of parrys are bonkers but I can't confirm. All I know is sometimes there is literally no release animation before I am hit.

Knight 941 2569
  • 18 Oct '17
 Pred

Good example here:

Capture.JPG

Slow motion:

https://streamable.com/w8cy0

Baron 291 224
  • 18 Oct '17
 Esa1996

Indeed, well done OP for noticing this and documenting it so well. I don't usually notice this, especially as I mostly play Local Games, but in online I occasionally have days when I really have problems just like yours.

396 454
  • 18 Oct '17
 JasonBourne

Maybe this is why I feel parry doesnt react. Maybe its not parry, but the swings that are broken.

Knight 292 904
  • 18 Oct '17
 GIRUGIRU

your recording software might also just be causing the sound to be out of sync. I wouldn't be able to count the amount of times i've had to resync the audio to chivalry footage

as for getting hit before the anim/sound plays, not experienced it myself

Baron 291 224
  • 19 Oct '17
 Esa1996

Giru has a point. Do you have any pictures where your health bar is drained but the weapon is still halfway to hitting you?

Knight 941 2569
  • 19 Oct '17
 Pred

I'm pretty sure the recordings are not out of sync.

As far as I'm able to tell, damage on health bar is not supposed to happen simultaneously with the first frame of hit being registered, but it's delayed a little. I definitely had some examples for that, but these were rather rare and I wrote them off as a random obvious desync or maybe ping issue while this "damage sound playing halfway to my face" seem to be much more subtle but happening very often.

105 685
  • 19 Oct '17
 Spook — UI

@Pred said:

As far as I'm able to tell, damage on health bar is not supposed to happen simultaneously with the first frame of hit being registered, but it's delayed a little. I definitely had some examples for that, but these were rather rare and I wrote them off as a random obvious desync or maybe ping issue while this "damage sound playing halfway to my face" seem to be much more subtle but happening very often.

The healtth/stamina values update instantly. There's also two bars, one brighter that you see most often that lowers instantly and a darker one underneath that slowly lowers to the new value

Knight 941 2569
  • 19 Oct '17
 Pred

@Spook said:

@Pred said:

The healtth/stamina values update instantly.

Hmmm, I was under impression that when getting hit first you see blood effects and health bar is updated later, this is the case below, literally the first two hits I found:

vlcsnap-2017-10-19-17h58m36s125.png

vlcsnap-2017-10-19-17h59m33s228.png

Also this:

hit2.png