Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

The Kick

Baron 26 10
  • 17 Sep '17
 DarkLandsknecht

The kick seems very inconsistent with me, using a greatword, if I kick someone, there's a chance that the enemy will react and parry the incoming blow, and then there's a chance that he won't. I've tested it with slomo and even if I attack as soon as the kick is finished, there's no guarantee that it will be a solid hit.

Knight 174 263
  • 17 Sep '17
 Echonian

The kick stun doesn't last long, so if you attack with a slow weapon afterwards, they can avoid it in time or parry.

You have to avoid this by going right into a stab or dragging towards your opponent if using a heavier weapon, and I've seen it done before, but it's definitely easier with light weapons to follow up after a kick.

I've never seen the kick stun time vary, it just isn't long at all.

Countess 1233 2912
  • 17 Sep '17
 Whisper

It is frustrating when I score the kick but can't follow up with a stab from a spear in alt mode.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 17 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

Also, the turncap on the kick is way too strong. By it's essence, kick had to be used on facehuggers. And facehuggers move pretty fast around you since they are so close...

111 131
  • 17 Sep '17
 Bang

The kick needs to be nerfed if anything. It does 10 damage, a free hit, gives back initiation, and punishes any close combat. Plus you can riposte kick, feint to kick, morph to kick and combo to kick. Maybe it's fine if you just backpedal with a spear but otherwise it's obnoxious and anti-fun. Plus it lessens the skillgap from matrix-like chambering to passive kcikboxing,

Knight 174 263
  • 17 Sep '17
 Echonian

@Bang said:
The kick needs to be nerfed if anything. It does 10 damage, a free hit, gives back initiation, and punishes any close combat. Plus you can riposte kick, feint to kick, morph to kick and combo to kick. Maybe it's fine if you just backpedal with a spear but otherwise it's obnoxious and anti-fun. Plus it lessens the skillgap from matrixolike chambering to passive kcikboxing,

The kick is "supposed" to punish someone face-hugging you. That isn't "close combat," that's SUPER DUPER close combat, since the kick has a short reach.

A missed kick costs a massive amount of stamina, and leaves you open to be hit. A hit kick allows your enemy to be hit, and gives you a bit of breathing room. It's a moderate risk, moderate reward move.

Also, you can't kick fast enough to use it in place of chambering or any normal fighting. If someone is actively attacking you, it isn't easy to get a kick off without being hit in the meantime.

Knight 697 1611
  • 17 Sep '17
 das

@Carlo_Mano said:
Also, the turncap on the kick is way too strong. By it's essence, kick had to be used on facehuggers. And facehuggers move pretty fast around you since they are so close...

It was ridiculously lenient in Slasher, seems to be the other way in Mordhau but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing yet.

At any rate, kicks only get landed when you have hard read on someone or they're cornered. Don't forget you can tech kicks on reaction as well.

Note: You can CFTP out of kicks, but a whiffed kick costs 25 stamina + feint + parrying weapon = a MASSIVE stamina drain. Be careful.

@Bang: The game gets more and more ridiculously fast, close, and offensive as players get better. The threat of the kick needs to remain for there to be any incentive not to facehug and spam an onslaught of nigh-unreadable morphs, feints, and chambers.

111 131
  • 17 Sep '17
 Bang

At any rate, kicks only get landed when you have hard read on someone or they're cornered. Don't forget you can tech kicks on reaction as well.

That's not true at all. You're not abusing ripostes, morphs, combos and feints (like I said earlier) if you think its hard to land. It's overpowered, anti-fun and reduces the skillgap. If you can't drag, agress, parry or land a hit, just press F,

Mercenary 1897 7067
  • 17 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

If you combo an attack after a successful kick, the attack will land even if you're using a slow weapon. Remember, you can combo and cancel pretty much everything in this game.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 18 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

The best way to land a kick is to do it as a riposte right after you parry someone getting too close.

And then you win, because you can combo kick-thrust-kick-thrust and there's nothing the opponent can do. (just make sure to move forward when you thrust)

It's an easy technique, its a guaranteed kill and if the feinter you kill cries... tell him to git gud

Duke 356 384
  • 18 Sep '17
 AFluffyKnight

@carlo_mano
That right there actually does sound a tad over powered. Kick shouldn't be able to stunlock someone to death. Deffinetly going to have to try that out.

Knight 697 1611
  • 18 Sep '17
 das

It worked on a guy that was cornered lmao. I tried on another guy in an open field but he backed off the second kick. Maybe it works against full plate though?

Baron 1226 1617
  • 18 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

@AFluffyKnight said:
@carlo_mano
That right there actually does sound a tad over powered. Kick shouldn't be able to stunlock someone to death. Deffinetly going to have to try that out.

The opponent might be able to interrupt the kick-stabs circle by performing a kick himself, needs some testing...

Baron 26 10
  • 19 Sep '17
 DarkLandsknecht

Yes, I don't think it's OP at all, it's kinda hard to land if the opponent is close and moving side to side. And thrusts don't seem to work as a guaranteed either, at least with greatswords. I think it should allow even big weapons to do a guaranteed after the kick, cause it already has such short range, is hard to land, and doesn't follow with something useful. It's kinda lame to be backpeddling all the game cause you want to use the reach as an advantage, and when they are really close, you can't do much because of the speed, and guess what? If backpeddling is your only hope of reach advantage, the moment they get close, a kick is very possible from the atacker.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 19 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

@Carlo_Mano said:

@AFluffyKnight said:
@carlo_mano

The opponent might be able to interrupt the kick-stabs circle by performing a kick himself, needs some testing...

I confirm, it can be countered with a kick

Knight 2307 4188
  • 19 Sep '17
 Runagate

I think the kick is in a very good state right now. It punishes carelessness and facehugging and is really useful with light armour and fast weapons. People also shoudn't forget that it can be blocked with your own kick.

Duke 5558 13284
  • 19 Sep '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Kick shouldn't get touched for now IMO

@Bang kicks are like the 'danger zone': you can avoid that zone and avoid kicks with pure linear range, or you can get into it and use it to your advantage.
If anything, a player should be able to sidestep a kick if they're expecting it, which I've done a few times (but not enough to form an accurate opinion) and punish with an attack,

I'm sure you know this though, you wiped the floor with my ass a few times this week lol