Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

240 Wheel fix please!

108 106
  • 16 Sep '17
 Level

It would be better for testing to be recording at 120fps or more, and be getting over 120fps aswell but that's not possible with my system.

Also, I am using NohBoard with Obs studio to help visually show the mouse direction. But for some reason what is displayed for the mouse direction on NohBoard once clicked inside of Mordhau becomes a lot less sensitive.

Probably a lot of these swings are just fine, but there are at least a good amount where the wheel isn't doing its job. I went ahead and included every clip where I thought it was even just unfair instead of just inaccurate.

When I use the word inaccurate. I actually mean that the current way the wheel is, is too accurate ;). You'll probably understand what I mean by 'too accurate' after you watch some of the video and read everything.

I suggest making the wheel determine where your trying to swing from by calculating where the majority of the direction your moving your
mouse is in within a very small window of time.

This way,
If I was to move 100 pixels to the left, but then do a very small flick of 10 pixels to the right it will still do a left swing. In its current state that would make it do a right swing. This is unfair because that flick of 10 pixels was just a fluke mouse movement in an attempt to better angle my crosshair at his sword, but since the attack is coming in from the wrong angle now, I am likely to get hit for just trying to align better unconsciously. Counter productive..

If I was to drag my mouse 100 pixels the left and then 10 pixels to the right all whilst dragging my mouse upwards the whole time. Currently this would probably result in a right overhead when it should be a left overhead.

If I was to drag my mouse left, far enough to spin around and then quickly bring it around 100 pixels to the right. I would want it to be a right swing. And it would be in the current system. But I am saying this because after reading my suggestion for how to make the wheel more accurate you would think that in this situation it would be a left swing because the majority of your mouse direction was moving to the left. But this would not be the case because the majority of your mouse direction paired with it calculating in a small window of time would still find the majority of your mouse direction going to the right. Thus a right swing would occur.

I can imagine that this would make the wheel feel more fair, but I know little in terms of designing mechanics and this is just my attempt to try and come up with a solution from what I could surmise about the wheel that still feels inaccurate for the direction people are moving their mouse.

105 685
  • 16 Sep '17
 Spook — UI

This topic has been moved.

Knight 766 3329
  • 16 Sep '17
 Mittsies

yes because everyone wants to watch you suck on a vape pen for several minutes before you start to talk

108 106
  • 16 Sep '17
 Level

@Mittsies said:
yes because everyone wants to watch you suck on a vape pen for several minutes before you start to talk

troll successful

Knight 146 159
  • 16 Sep '17
 Zetboi

The currently implemented 240 degree system is pretty simple to follow.

You point in the direction you want your swing and then click, like described in the KS gif;

a8277cc4e8afb7b99cc94b881b8d10c4_original

Let's have a take on your example.

You're facing almost away from your opponent from your left side, then click and quickly drag to the right, facing your opponent again. That would be an 150-160 left-to-right swing with the current system.

As far as I can understand from your suggestion, you'd want a system working the way you move your mouse (of kinds), right?
If you'd want a right-to-left swing by facing away from your opponent from your left side by the current 240 degree system, you drag right and then click, resulting in a accelerated right-to-left swing. That seems logical to me.

108 106
  • 16 Sep '17
 Level

@ZETBOI

I'm not understanding what your saying at all. Could be because I haven't slept in a really long time, but it's more likely because you did a poor job of explaining what I was trying to say if you even were at all. Anyways, it doesn't really matter because everything below the video was just a proposed way that they could possibly fix it. But it is a fact that the wheel is a little bit messed up still and the video shows that.

Knight 615 1118
  • 16 Sep '17
 Uncy

stopped watching after that gay vaping. if u want to provide a feedback dont make clown of yourself.

Baron 291 224
  • 16 Sep '17
 Esa1996

The current system takes only the last directional input into account when deciding where you are going to strike. THis is not good. It also takes into account only input that you put in before clicking LMB, another problem.

Problems:

1. You click and flick at the same time. Because there is no input before the click the game will make a default right hand strike no matter where your flick was aimed at. Annoying.

2. You flick and then click, but you click a bit too late and your hand is already bringing the mouse back to the "center" position. The input system takes into account the movement where you are bringing your mouse back from the flick instead of the flick itself and the attack will start in the wrong direction.

How to fix it? Make the system start recording your mouse movement when you press down LMB. The important bit is that the system does not start the swing until your mouse has moved in some direction with LMB pressed and thus told the system where you want to strike. The attack would begin as soon as sufficient data is gained or alternatively as soon as LMB is lifted.

With the current system I can only successfully aim my strikes if I'm not trying to be fast. If I'm trying to be fast I can correctly aim a maximum of half my hits. With the system I described which is used in M&B and WOTR I can successfully aim around 99% of my attacks no matter what speed I'm doing them at.

PLEASE change it Devs! I really want it to work properly and the current system just doesn't work as well as it could.

108 106
  • 16 Sep '17
 Level

@Uncy

If you want to provide feedback then say something constructive and don't make a clown of yourself.

I'm going to make a new post in a little bit, I have a feel you're really going to enjoy it.

108 106
  • 16 Sep '17
 Level

@kEsa1996

I'm so happy you've said all that! I agree with all of what you said and would love for this post to get more views and possibly more people that agree with this so that the developers make a change.

8 6
  • 16 Sep '17
 Andimar

I second/third/whatever what kEsa1996 has written here.

Duke 196 836
  • 16 Sep '17
 Ser_Thank_You

I agree with what you're saying, but do you need a full minute of shirtless vaping before the video? Seriously I thought it was a troll video until I skipped ahead..

2428 4937
  • 16 Sep '17
 Maci

I don't get what he is trying to say. What fucking wheel? Do you own no t-shirts? I vape xdxd

108 106
  • 16 Sep '17
 Level

@Maci said:

Do some research. My Skin is my shirt. xdxd

Knight 40 40
  • 16 Sep '17
 Madcat

I like how you take off your shirt for no reason at all

Knight 615 1118
  • 16 Sep '17
 Uncy

@Madcat said:
I like how you take off your shirt for no reason at all

Reason is obvious though. He's vaping, so he's 100% gay. He wants to find a boyfriend bere.

Or he's just autistic clown , pick one tbh

Knight 83 115
  • 16 Sep '17
 Mufflin

Or just make it click and flick so that it only measures direction when you're directly telling it to measure direction allowing perfect accuracy.

Baron 291 224
  • 17 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@Mufflin said:
Or just make it click and flick so that it only measures direction when you're directly telling it to measure direction allowing perfect accuracy.

Yup. This is what all the other medieval combat games with mouse directional input do and it works really well. I've been posting about it all over the forum since the alpha release :D Haven't got any reply from the devs yet unfortunately.

108 106
  • 17 Sep '17
 Level

@Mufflin

That was just a simple version of what kEsa1996 said

96 128
  • 17 Sep '17
 Reapy

You want the mouse to select the direction your mouse was moving right when you left click. Right now it buffers the last 100ms of movement, so if you flick left, click, and keep moving back right, you get a right swing (as was said).

All you want is to just lock in the way you moved. You don't want to record movement after lmb presses (which is what it currently is doing), you want it to take in the direction flick you just made and that only. Your hand should be free to do whatever you want again after you left click and not force you to arbitrarily hold the direction you want to swing.