Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Weapons feel way shorter than they are

Sellsword 13 8
  • 17 Sep '17
 Merlander

I don't have any footage of this, but I also have often had the feelings that my character had t-rex arms. I'm gonna try moving the camera back, but honestly it might be worth considering just bumping the range of all weapons a touch.

Knight 30 28
  • 17 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

I dont really think you understand my point, i know they are missing... but they shouldnt be. If i was physically standing that far in real life i could hit the opponent with those swings.

anyways if you feel this is okay then theres no point in me trying to explain it any longer.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 17 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

Maybe you should put your fov up then. It is really as easy as that.

Knight 30 28
  • 17 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

@Sir Zombie said:
Maybe you should put your fov up then. It is really as easy as that.

nope it isnt.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 18 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

Unless your fov is at max it is.

Knight 30 28
  • 18 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

@Sir Zombie said:

nope, changing fov doesnt
make the weapons longer or shorter. fake news, wrong, incorrect. thanks though.

Knight 27 34
  • 18 Sep '17
 LegendaryZero

@Merlander said:
I don't have any footage of this, but I also have often had the feelings that my character had t-rex arms. I'm gonna try moving the camera back, but honestly it might be worth considering just bumping the range of all weapons a touch.

I had similar thought regarding the tricky range. It often felt like I'm in the range only to have my weapon missing, as you said, due to t-rex arms.

I'm still playing with FOV and camera distance. But the camera range slide felt extremely limited (-15 to +15) like it barely make the difference (putting it down all to minus -15 helped slightly, might help more if it's capable of going down to -30). And increasing FOV seemed to worsen the t-rex sensation somehow even though it's better for spatial awareness. It's all subjective observation, of course.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 18 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

@JewJewBinks said:

@Sir Zombie said:

Weapons aren't the issue, you are. Increasing your fov makes it seem like people are farther away. If people look like they are farther away then your problem is fixed. Do I need to elaborate further?

Knight 30 28
  • 18 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

@Sir Zombie said:

@JewJewBinks said:

@Sir Zombie said:

Weapons aren't the issue, you are. Increasing your fov makes it seem like people are farther away. If people look like they are farther away then your problem is fixed. Do I need to elaborate further?

apparently your brain isn't able to comprehend that the issue is constant regardless of fov, as posted by the member above and many others. fov makes the issue worse or slightly better, yes, but isnt the main culperate. Are you able to follow along now or do you still feel like its going over your head?

Knight 30 28
  • 18 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

@marox said:

@JewJewBinks said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvdypDcE6E&feature=youtu.be

Here you go, i miss time some because I'm just trying to get in and out as much as possible so the ones that are off due to my timing don't matter but you can clearly see from the distance we are standing i easily should be landing hits, my tracers even go through him sometimes... If i was that far from someone in real life i would be hitting them every time with an extended arm swinging.

most apparent are near the end at 1:14-1:19 then the tracers of the opponent swinging at me at the end as well. Would really love to hear the feedback you have on this please.

Those are all missing I'm afraid, some are close calls, but still misses. Only thing that I could see as a solution in your case is to move the camera further back so that you'd be tricked to overcompensate the range. It's not an uncommon feeling though, and in Slasher we did this camera trick to make it "feel better" (even if incorrect).

Marox let me ask you then, for the closest "near misses" you saw in my video, how close toe to toe do you feel they were in feet? How long were the weapons I used in feet or inches? I would like to make another video for you. Give me references for each of the weapons in the video if possible, if you cant then even one will do.

Knight 24 19
  • 18 Sep '17
 NekoVeil

I am seeing the tip hit a few times, but from my own experience, getting hit by the tippy tip of a weapon, bladed or blunt, is just a minor inconvenience. For a gloved hand, it's nothing, and even barehanded, it's like "ow... you poked me.". I guess the most realistic thing to do is play an animation of your character shaking their hand like you would if you poked your finger on a pin.
Unless the stab was to the head or an unprotected part or had decent momentum from moving forward, then it's a nothing hit.

Knight 30 28
  • 18 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

the thing is, if you can drag and hit at the end of the swing arc of an attack, which in real life would also do minimal damage why shouldn't the timing of hitting with just the tip edge be rewarded too?

my main concern is while standing that far IRL, you could definitely land with the point of percussion on the blade or whatever weapon you are using if your arm is fully extended. The game isnt giving the reach the weapons deserve from that distance.

Count 1476 965

You know I've noticed this with a lot of weapons, I think I big issue is your frame of reference you see your hand which makes it look like you are closer than you really are, perhaps show arms a little more forward?