Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Weapons feel way shorter than they are

Knight 30 28
  • 15 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

When playing I can't even count the number of times I've been in "range" for the weapon to hit but they feel about 1-2 feet shorter than they actually are. Would be great if the ranges of the hit arcs on the weapons were refined more to represent the true lengths of the weapons better. I shouldn't be standing 3 feet from someone with a pollaxe and swing short from that distance, it just makes no sense. A few times ive actually had the model of the weapon go through their body and still miss because the hit arc wasn't in line with the model of the weapon.

Also as a side note, when you are getting swung at the weapon your opponent is swinging looks like its a foot short of hitting you yet still hits you, go figure. So theirs issues on both ends. When you swing you fall short of your weapons reach and when they swing at you they gain an extra foot from their physical weapon.

Baron 28 28
  • 15 Sep '17
 Cranberry

they are, this is a you problem fam

Knight 30 28
  • 15 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

What are you trying to say? The weapons are specifically designed to actually hit shorter than they physically are?

Baron 26 10
  • 15 Sep '17
 DarkLandsknecht

I had that problem too, many times against bots. I thought I was the only one, but no, it really is a problem. That and the uslessness of the kick.

Knight 30 28
  • 16 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

Exactly! the kick is the perfect example. clearly your kick length should be the full range of the leg but it feels like you are kicking with a midget leg that is 3 feet too short. They obviously have to refine this and work on making the weapons feel as long as they should.

also the working on the fov to make sure the weapons actually look like they are in range to hit you when you are being attacked.

would be nice to hear some dev feedback on this issue.

988 6974
  • 16 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

@JewJewBinks said:

We will need video footage to see what you mean, because we don't experience any issues, the collision is accurate to the weapon model you see in 1P. If it somehow isn't, that is definitely a bug, but we need to see footage to identify exactly what the problem you're having is.

King 2430 3418

@marox said:

@JewJewBinks said:

We will need video footage to see what you mean, because we don't experience any issues, the collision is accurate to the weapon model you see in 1P. If it somehow isn't, that is definitely a bug, but we need to see footage to identify exactly what the problem you're having is.

Should he turn on draw tracers for a comparison? I always feel that people with fists have more range than daggers

5 3

I cant say Ive noticed all the weapons feeling short but the cleaver in particular seems to have a very stubby range for how long the model is. I miss point blank swings and stabs all the time. I have better luck with the dagger.

Knight 256 264
  • 16 Sep '17
 CrimsonKing

I kind of know what you're talking about, but it could be the FOV and camera distance settings that might be messing you up.

Knight 30 28
  • 17 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

@marox said:

@JewJewBinks said:

If the tracers are accurate to the model then there is an issue with how the characters are swinging then because they are not using the full range of the weapon. Its as if they are swinging the weapons with tucked in elbows which is not how you swing a sword, you extend your arms fully out forwards to get the most range in your attack. the animation looks as if they are fully extending though so for someone who is using distance / range to fight this is extremely deceptive to use. if you face hug and use feints / drags extremely close to the person mainly then you wont see these issues. if you are trying to use the max range of the weapon to hit the opponent on a regular basis, as i do, there is a massive issue in the feel of it. I will gladly record some footage to show.

Baron 26 10
  • 17 Sep '17
 DarkLandsknecht

Yeah, now I'm sure that it's definetely happening, I'm having this issue more and more often now.

Knight 30 28
  • 17 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

Here you go, i miss time some because I'm just trying to get in and out as much as possible so the ones that are off due to my timing don't matter but you can clearly see from the distance we are standing i easily should be landing hits, my tracers even go through him sometimes... If i was that far from someone in real life i would be hitting them every time with an extended arm swinging.

most apparent are near the end at 1:14-1:19 then the tracers of the opponent swinging at me at the end as well. Would really love to hear the feedback you have on this please.

Knight 255 350
  • 17 Sep '17
 Ƭheodore

Looks to me like you're just standing too far away. I wouldn't expect to hit him from that far away with a short weapon like that. The weapon doesn't touch him at all

18 17
  • 17 Sep '17
 WXX

@JewJewBinks said:
When playing I can't even count the number of times I've been in "range" for the weapon to hit but they feel about 1-2 feet shorter than they actually are. Would be great if the ranges of the hit arcs on the weapons were refined more to represent the true lengths of the weapons better. I shouldn't be standing 3 feet from someone with a pollaxe and swing short from that distance, it just makes no sense. A few times ive actually had the model of the weapon go through their body and still miss because the hit arc wasn't in line with the model of the weapon.

Also as a side note, when you are getting swung at the weapon your opponent is swinging looks like its a foot short of hitting you yet still hits you, go figure. So theirs issues on both ends. When you swing you fall short of your weapons reach and when they swing at you they gain an extra foot from their physical weapon.

ah, i think know what you mean; this is probably because of how fovs work w/ the given aspect ratio, or something like that-- emulating a curved field onto a rectangle screen.

there may not be an easy solution for this; however, there is a setting to adjust the forward distance of your camera. had to move mine forward a few points because i kept thinking enemy weapons were shorter/further away. seemed to work for me, maybe placebo. alternatively, you can try lowering you fov.

anyway, besides adjusting your settings its something you can learn to overcome by just playing more.

1627 2898
  • 17 Sep '17
 Ranten

This is noticeable on the Halberd

The Halberd has 3 head types, and one head type is quite longer/bigger than the other 2 (I am talking about the one with an exceptionally long tip, almost resembling a spear). What I have noticed is that the model with this head becomes bigger than the weapon's hitboxes are, so a lot of times the tip would go through a character model and deal no damage. I have tried doing it with a tree and had the same result - sometimes a weapon obviously goes through a prop/character but deals no damage. That also may apply to the spear but I have not tested it so I am not sure

Here made a quick screenshot to kinda explain what I am talking about

20170917143457_1.jpg

You can see that the tip is obviously going through wood yet it doesn't actually hit it (the system counts it as a miss and drains my stamina as well). The difference is just a few centimeters, but still it's quite annoying when fighting real players. I had a lot of moments when my strike/kick went through the model but didn't register a hit, and I had a lot of moments when a zweihander went literally through my head yet didn't deal me any damage at all (nor flinch me). I think this occurs most when the target is actually moving, so the hitboxes sometimes are missed and it's impossible to drag your way out on some weapons (although I have been HEAVILY thrust dragged by the longsword at times, so I guess this problem only applies to particular weapons like the halberd or the spear)

Knight 30 28
  • 17 Sep '17
 JewJewBinks

exactly this.

even when stabbing the ground the perspective of your weapon is like its 6 feet ahead of you but the floor is only 3 feet away and it doesnt hit it. theres definitely a fov / range issue going on and i know a lot of people are experiencing it. it depends on your playstyle too, obviously close face huggers / draggers who stay closer wont experience it but people who fight out of distance and try to maximize their weapons reach for hits are feeling it really hard. Its just making it extremely frustrating to play atm.

its why i love mount and blade, immediately after getting frustrated with mordhau i went on there and it feels so nice to be able to use the weapons reach properly. mnb is the only sword game ive played that really nailed the hit boxes for weapons reach. war of the roses, vikings and chivalry all have this same issue were experiencing with mordhau and i would love to be able to get this figured out to finally enjoy it fully

988 6974
  • 17 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

@Ranten said:
This is noticeable on the Halberd

The Halberd has 3 head types, and one head type is quite longer/bigger than the other 2 (I am talking about the one with an exceptionally long tip, almost resembling a spear). What I have noticed is that the model with this head becomes bigger than the weapon's hitboxes are, so a lot of times the tip would go through a character model and deal no damage. I have tried doing it with a tree and had the same result - sometimes a weapon obviously goes through a prop/character but deals no damage. That also may apply to the spear but I have not tested it so I am not sure

Here made a quick screenshot to kinda explain what I am talking about

20170917143457_1.jpg

You can see that the tip is obviously going through wood yet it doesn't actually hit it (the system counts it as a miss and drains my stamina as well). The difference is just a few centimeters, but still it's quite annoying when fighting real players. I had a lot of moments when my strike/kick went through the model but didn't register a hit, and I had a lot of moments when a zweihander went literally through my head yet didn't deal me any damage at all (nor flinch me). I think this occurs most when the target is actually moving, so the hitboxes sometimes are missed and it's impossible to drag your way out on some weapons (although I have been HEAVILY thrust dragged by the longsword at times, so I guess this problem only applies to particular weapons like the halberd or the spear)

Halberd heads are the same length overall in terms of tracers, the example you show is world collision, where tip tracers are ignored so that it is less annoying to the player, actual non-world collision doesn't ignore the tip like that.

988 6974
  • 17 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

@JewJewBinks said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWvdypDcE6E&feature=youtu.be

Here you go, i miss time some because I'm just trying to get in and out as much as possible so the ones that are off due to my timing don't matter but you can clearly see from the distance we are standing i easily should be landing hits, my tracers even go through him sometimes... If i was that far from someone in real life i would be hitting them every time with an extended arm swinging.

most apparent are near the end at 1:14-1:19 then the tracers of the opponent swinging at me at the end as well. Would really love to hear the feedback you have on this please.

Those are all missing I'm afraid, some are close calls, but still misses. Only thing that I could see as a solution in your case is to move the camera further back so that you'd be tricked to overcompensate the range. It's not an uncommon feeling though, and in Slasher we did this camera trick to make it "feel better" (even if incorrect).

Countess 1233 2912
  • 17 Sep '17
 Whisper

My problem is with some pole arms when they stab you can fully see the point but still they confirm the hit

1627 2898
  • 17 Sep '17
 Ranten

@marox said:

Halberd heads are the same length overall in terms of tracers, the example you show is world collision, where tip tracers are ignored so that it is less annoying to the player, actual non-world collision doesn't ignore the tip like that.

Then I guess I will have to somehow make footage of this happening to players. Also what do you mean by "tip tracers"? You can still hit walls with your tip, it's just that the hitbox is 2-3cm shorter than the model. Also, I really don't see any point in making players strike through walls, that just makes it feel more cheesier as players don't need to care about hitting real life objects