Mordhau

Alpha Build #3 Discussion Thread

985 6954
  • 16 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

@Alphonse said:
I could do some more indepth testing but I don't know if there's any debug command to show the appropriate info.

Unfortunately not right now, we better hurry on the indicator I guess

Knight 399 868
  • 1
  • 16 Sep '17
 Alphonse

@marox said:

@Alphonse said:
I could do some more indepth testing but I don't know if there's any debug command to show the appropriate info.

Unfortunately not right now, we better hurry on the indicator I guess

This is the best I could do on my side of things. It's some Logitech analyzer for your mouse acceleration. For the first 8 seconds of the video, I'm holding the mouse still and frantically pressing LMB and RMB. You can see how the DPI meter stays in 0, so it's not like it's super sensitive to tiny motions.

Then I move the mouse around while clicking and there are no sudden spikes or anything in speed.

I'm guessing this just confirms there's nothing wrong with my mouse or system (like cat hair on the laser sensor or something wrong with my mouse pad's reflection), so idk what could be causing the weird inputs in Mordhau.

Baron 135 243
  • 16 Sep '17
 EvilSuD

''Keybinds for choosing the items in the menu can also be set in options now.''
Where is this?

1909 961

@kEsa1996 said:
Good changes, especially the server mode dedicated servers.

I still want you to make the 240 degree strike aiming system similar to M&B where you can click before flicking as this would make it far easier to aim attacks where you want them to go. For me this is the most important change to the game you guys can make at the moment.

Don't know if it's a bug but the game takes ages to open. From clicking Mordhau icon on my desktop to seeing the Unreal Engine 4 logo can take up to a minute.

I think this seriously has the potential to make the combat feel so much better. Because so far i just genuinely do not like the current attack system. It just doesn't feel natural, and going into settings isn't really making it that much better.

I'm tempted to say, that Mordhau would probably feel and play much better, if you just copied over chivalry's attack system.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 16 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

I can bind the weapon selection on something else than 12345 now, thanks!

Baron 291 224
  • 16 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:

@kEsa1996 said:
Good changes, especially the server mode dedicated servers.

I still want you to make the 240 degree strike aiming system similar to M&B where you can click before flicking as this would make it far easier to aim attacks where you want them to go. For me this is the most important change to the game you guys can make at the moment.

Don't know if it's a bug but the game takes ages to open. From clicking Mordhau icon on my desktop to seeing the Unreal Engine 4 logo can take up to a minute.

I think this seriously has the potential to make the combat feel so much better. Because so far i just genuinely do not like the current attack system. It just doesn't feel natural, and going into settings isn't really making it that much better.

I'm tempted to say, that Mordhau would probably feel and play much better, if you just copied over chivalry's attack system.

Personally I don't want to be forced into a system similar to what Chiv had as, especially after using WOTR's mouse directional system for over 1200 hours, Chiv's button mashing felt really quite horrible and unintuitive.

M&B and WOTR both used a system where it starts measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, winds up the attack as soon as it detects movement from your mouse, and then finally begins to swing when you lift LMB. This same system would work great for Mordhau with some tiny changes to prevent people from holding up attacks:

  1. Make the client start measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, but don't start the windup nor the following swing start until LMB is lifted.
  2. Make the attack windup start as soon as the client detects movement from your mouse (Up until here this is the exact same system used in M&B and WOTR). Unlike M&B and WOTR the client should then keep on proceeding to the release phase no matter whether LMB is still pressed down or not.

Personally I think the second option would be best. It's faster than option 1 yet extremely accurate in reading a player's input as proven by M&B and WOTR.

Conscript 4546 6279
  • 16 Sep '17
 vanguard

Yeah sometimes the directional system seem to not do the attack I want to, but I always thought it was my fault for it. I think I'm getting more able to use it then I was before.

Have you tested on Slasher Alphonse?

Baron 578 965
  • 2
  • 16 Sep '17
 lash

Is there an easy way to backup your loadouts?

Or rather, could it be done in a way that your loadouts will be saved under your windows profile documents folder? (possibly even steam cloud in the future, so you can access your loadouts from different locations)

Right now, reinstalling the game will erase your loadouts.

Militia 44 49
  • 1
  • 16 Sep '17
 Sareth

@kEsa1996 said:
[...]
it starts measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB
[...]
Make the attack windup start as soon as the client detects movement from your mouse (Up until here this is the exact same system used in M&B and WOTR). Unlike M&B and WOTR the client should then keep on proceeding to the release phase no matter whether LMB is still pressed down or not.

Personally I think the [...] option would be best. It's faster [...] yet extremely accurate in reading a player's input as proven by M&B and WOTR.

I'm in favour of that. Haven't played too much M&B and not even touched WOTR, so I can't really compare, but I like the idea.

Knight 255 349
  • 16 Sep '17
 Ƭheodore

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:
I'm tempted to say, that Mordhau would probably feel and play much better, if you just copied over chivalry's attack system.

I think that the directional attacks might still need some work, but I think they should try to keep them in the game. If you want to use Chivalry's system you can just set it up in the keybinds

985 6954
  • 16 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

@lash said:
Is there an easy way to backup your loadouts?

Or rather, could it be done in a way that your loadouts will be saved under your windows profile documents folder? (possibly even steam cloud in the future, so you can access your loadouts from different locations)

Right now, reinstalling the game will erase your loadouts.

Yeah, it's in Game.ini in your docs, e.g.
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Mordhau\Saved\Config\WindowsClient\Game.ini

You can also share loadouts this way by copy pasting the relevant part

Baron 291 224
  • 16 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@Ƭheodore said:

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:
I'm tempted to say, that Mordhau would probably feel and play much better, if you just copied over chivalry's attack system.

I think that the directional attacks might still need some work, but I think they should try to keep them in the game. If you want to use Chivalry's system you can just set it up in the keybinds

They absolutely must keep them in the game. I refuse to learn to use keybinds after having used mouse directional input for over 3 years. They just need to tweak the current system a bit to make it easier to use.

Baron 291 224
  • 16 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@marox said:

@lash said:
Is there an easy way to backup your loadouts?

Or rather, could it be done in a way that your loadouts will be saved under your windows profile documents folder? (possibly even steam cloud in the future, so you can access your loadouts from different locations)

Right now, reinstalling the game will erase your loadouts.

Yeah, it's in Game.ini in your docs, e.g.
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Mordhau\Saved\Config\WindowsClient\Game.ini

You can also share loadouts this way by copy pasting the relevant part

Can I restore original loadouts? I accidentally edited one of them and then when trying to reset it I deleted it completely :D

Also, any comment on the mouse directional input post I made a few posts above? Pls do it milord.

16 11
  • 16 Sep '17
 VladimusMaximus

@Alphonse said:
I'm still having a lot of issues with the directional attack system.

Here's a video of me trying to get a LMB standard strike / right to left swing to demonstrate my problem:

I have Strike bound to Left Click. Wheel Up bound to Stab. Wheel Down to Overhead. My sensitivity is 0.5, my DPI is 1200. I enabled "Invert X axis".

  • I'm literally killing myself and respawning with the crosshair "centered" at default height (I'm not even moving my mouse after I spawn).

  • I just left click without moving the mouse at all and it does an overhead for some reason.

  • I move down the cursor 5 cm and without any dragging I get a lower strike. Okay, I guess?

  • Moving the crosshair 2 cm up, click (no dragging), and then I get a left to right swing, hooray!

  • I move the cursor 3 cm to the left, no change in height, no dragging (or very very minimal), left click. Boom, an overhead.

  • I move the cursor another 2 cm to the left, no change in height, left click. A left to right strike.

I don't know if any of this is intended, but it just feels like I have no control of what I'm doing. Much less when I'm in combat and I move my mouse a lot more. And that's just the regular LMB strike. I bound a left strike to Thumb mouse 1 and Lower left strike to Thumb mouse 2 and it will randomly do inverted attacks as well.

I find the current directional system very inconsistent. Even after a full day of practice it seems it just won't pick up the direction of my intended swings at least 50% or more of the time.

Knight 7 15
  • 1
  • 16 Sep '17
 Havana

EDIT: fixed!

Really enjoying the Alpha so far, but having a problem. I tried maxing the graphics last night, which crashed my toaster. On start-up today, all I get is one of my character presets T-posed with music in the background and then the game crashes.

I'm assuming this is because it still has the graphics settings which my PC can't run. Is there a way for me to fix this without having to remove my game and thus remove my presets?

Thanks in advance.

1909 961

@kEsa1996 said:

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:

@kEsa1996 said:
Good changes, especially the server mode dedicated servers.

I still want you to make the 240 degree strike aiming system similar to M&B where you can click before flicking as this would make it far easier to aim attacks where you want them to go. For me this is the most important change to the game you guys can make at the moment.

Don't know if it's a bug but the game takes ages to open. From clicking Mordhau icon on my desktop to seeing the Unreal Engine 4 logo can take up to a minute.

I think this seriously has the potential to make the combat feel so much better. Because so far i just genuinely do not like the current attack system. It just doesn't feel natural, and going into settings isn't really making it that much better.

I'm tempted to say, that Mordhau would probably feel and play much better, if you just copied over chivalry's attack system.

Personally I don't want to be forced into a system similar to what Chiv had as, especially after using WOTR's mouse directional system for over 1200 hours, Chiv's button mashing felt really quite horrible and unintuitive.

M&B and WOTR both used a system where it starts measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, winds up the attack as soon as it detects movement from your mouse, and then finally begins to swing when you lift LMB. This same system would work great for Mordhau with some tiny changes to prevent people from holding up attacks:

  1. Make the client start measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, but don't start the windup nor the following swing start until LMB is lifted.
  2. Make the attack windup start as soon as the client detects movement from your mouse (Up until here this is the exact same system used in M&B and WOTR). Unlike M&B and WOTR the client should then keep on proceeding to the release phase no matter whether LMB is still pressed down or not.

Personally I think the second option would be best. It's faster than option 1 yet extremely accurate in reading a player's input as proven by M&B and WOTR.

I also think adding an arrow to your cursor that follows your mouse and lengthens/expands to represent which direction of attack you're going to have is a good idea. The visual feedback along with the increased control should be very helpful.

In regards to chiv's attack system, i said i'm 'tempted', not that i think that chiv's attack system should be the end all be all. I definitely think there's a lot of room for growth for mechanics. I'm definitely not one of those people that are stuck in their one way of thinking, i like exploring new mechanics.

My thinking was, at least for now until they figure out the directional attack system, just slap on chiv's attack system as an option we can toggle because at least we know it works. So at least i can play the game until they come up with whatever solution they have and release whatever update to make the attacking feel more natural.

Because as of right now, it just doesn't feel useful to play. If every attack i'm doing is a guess, then i can't learn or get any better. If i focused more on feinting or morphing, i probably wouldn't have as much of an issue, it would still be a problem, but not as much of a problem. But that's not my style of play, my style of play is entirely determined on positioning my strikes, and positioning my self, usually in relation to where i plan to strike.

Knight 83 115
  • 16 Sep '17
 Mufflin

@kEsa1996 said:
Good changes, especially the server mode dedicated servers.

I still want you to make the 240 degree strike aiming system similar to M&B where you can click before flicking as this would make it far easier to aim attacks where you want them to go. For me this is the most important change to the game you guys can make at the moment.

Holy shit yes that would make it so much better. I keep doing that by accident, it's just the more logical system.

Conscript 4546 6279
  • 17 Sep '17
 vanguard

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:

@kEsa1996 said:

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:

@kEsa1996 said:
Good changes, especially the server mode dedicated servers.

I still want you to make the 240 degree strike aiming system similar to M&B where you can click before flicking as this would make it far easier to aim attacks where you want them to go. For me this is the most important change to the game you guys can make at the moment.

Don't know if it's a bug but the game takes ages to open. From clicking Mordhau icon on my desktop to seeing the Unreal Engine 4 logo can take up to a minute.

I think this seriously has the potential to make the combat feel so much better. Because so far i just genuinely do not like the current attack system. It just doesn't feel natural, and going into settings isn't really making it that much better.

I'm tempted to say, that Mordhau would probably feel and play much better, if you just copied over chivalry's attack system.

Personally I don't want to be forced into a system similar to what Chiv had as, especially after using WOTR's mouse directional system for over 1200 hours, Chiv's button mashing felt really quite horrible and unintuitive.

M&B and WOTR both used a system where it starts measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, winds up the attack as soon as it detects movement from your mouse, and then finally begins to swing when you lift LMB. This same system would work great for Mordhau with some tiny changes to prevent people from holding up attacks:

  1. Make the client start measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, but don't start the windup nor the following swing start until LMB is lifted.
  2. Make the attack windup start as soon as the client detects movement from your mouse (Up until here this is the exact same system used in M&B and WOTR). Unlike M&B and WOTR the client should then keep on proceeding to the release phase no matter whether LMB is still pressed down or not.

Personally I think the second option would be best. It's faster than option 1 yet extremely accurate in reading a player's input as proven by M&B and WOTR.

I also think adding an arrow to your cursor that follows your mouse and lengthens/expands to represent which direction of attack you're going to have is a good idea. The visual feedback along with the increased control should be very helpful.

In regards to chiv's attack system, i said i'm 'tempted', not that i think that chiv's attack system should be the end all be all. I definitely think there's a lot of room for growth for mechanics. I'm definitely not one of those people that are stuck in their one way of thinking, i like exploring new mechanics.

My thinking was, at least for now until they figure out the directional attack system, just slap on chiv's attack system as an option we can toggle because at least we know it works. So at least i can play the game until they come up with whatever solution they have and release whatever update to make the attacking feel more natural.

Because as of right now, it just doesn't feel useful to play. If every attack i'm doing is a guess, then i can't learn or get any better. If i focused more on feinting or morphing, i probably wouldn't have as much of an issue, it would still be a problem, but not as much of a problem. But that's not my style of play, my style of play is entirely determined on positioning my strikes, and positioning my self, usually in relation to where i plan to strike.

A thing that helped me a lot to get better at the directional system was to get into a local game alone, and keep attacking. Like, at first I was only tring to do left uppercuts until I could pull them off consistently, then overheads, slashes etc.

I was having HUGE trouble to use the directional system to riposte overheads, it always ended up in a upercut. But now I can consistently pull overheads when riposting. I still miss obviously, sometimes the attack doesn't do the exact angle I wanted, so lets say I want to do a left-to-right overhead that looks more like a horizontal cut via the angle system, at least 70% of the time it will do exactly that, the rest it fails but still are overheads coming left-to-right, just not in the exact angle that I wanted.

I spent a bit more then 1h only doing this shit, trying to get combos in the exact way I wanted etc. I'm still practicing ripostes, and I am visibly getting better at it before I literally could not do a riposte in the direction I wanted, now most of the time I do it

Knight 693 1593
  • 17 Sep '17
 das

@marox said:

@Alphonse said:
I could do some more indepth testing but I don't know if there's any debug command to show the appropriate info.

Unfortunately not right now, we better hurry on the indicator I guess

Make sure the indicator leaves behind a red ghost indicator of the inputted attack direction too, so we can see exactly what our computer is telling the game to do when we click.

985 6954
  • 17 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

@kEsa1996 said:
M&B and WOTR both used a system where it starts measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, winds up the attack as soon as it detects movement from your mouse, and then finally begins to swing when you lift LMB. This same system would work great for Mordhau with some tiny changes to prevent people from holding up attacks:

  1. Make the client start measuring the direction of your swing when you press down LMB, but don't start the windup nor the following swing start until LMB is lifted.
  2. Make the attack windup start as soon as the client detects movement from your mouse (Up until here this is the exact same system used in M&B and WOTR). Unlike M&B and WOTR the client should then keep on proceeding to the release phase no matter whether LMB is still pressed down or not.

Personally I think the second option would be best. It's faster than option 1 yet extremely accurate in reading a player's input as proven by M&B and WOTR.

Had no idea it actually worked this way in MnB/Wotr, will definitely try out option 2, I think option 1 is too slow to be worthwhile.