Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Very weird FPS drop issue

Knight 43 82
  • 15 Sep '17
 jank

I'm getting a really weird problem whenever I get near/ around enemies, especially in populated servers, where my FPS will just dip to 0 and I won't be able to do anything for a couple seconds. Otherwise, I get a perfect 60+. My ping in every server I've played on since launch (mostly official, gif is from community server, I get the same issue either way) has been less than 80.

A friend of mine has nearly identical specs to me, yet doesn't get the same issue.

Specs:
i5 4460
GTX 970
8GB DDR3

6 6
  • 15 Sep '17
 nuubeli

Hi, I've had the same issue once in an hour or so. Playing on a potato here: i5 2500k OC'd 4.3ghz, 4gb ram and GTX580, no SSD. Still get 80-145fps all the time with low settings.

I was thinking it might because im using HDD but u prolly got an SSD so im interested if we can find a solution. I only get these freezes rarely so not a big issue at least for me.

Knight 43 82
  • 15 Sep '17
 jank

@nuubeli said:

I was thinking it might because im using HDD but u prolly got an SSD so im interested if we can find a solution. I only get these freezes rarely so not a big issue at least for me.

I have an SSD, but the game is installed on an HDD. I might try installing on the SSD to see how it goes. The HDD is 7200rpm, which is pretty much standard, so I somewhat doubt it's that. I'll be sure to post my results.

This is something that happens every single match, some worse than others, across different servers. After several hours of playing it seems to just stop to about once per match, which is nice, but getting there is brutal because the game feels almost unplayable when I'm dueling and the game just shits for a couple seconds.

Knight 321 611
  • 15 Sep '17
 Duckalot

I have the exact same specs you got and this problem has occured twice for me. Although not a complete freeze like in the gif (it was stuttering more), but enough frame drop to lose the duel =p

Baron 583 973
  • 15 Sep '17
 lash

I have encountered this issue as well, I have AMD cpu and sometimes the FPS would just drop for a slight moment, as was said, to the point you can't really do well in fighting.

However i have overclocked my CPU a bit becouse i was not satisfied with the performance i had in the game and since i did it, this never happened again.

988 6974
  • 15 Sep '17
 marox — Project Lead

Seems to be a UE4 thing, see for example: https://youtu.be/2aapsaqn03I?t=70

from the description of the video:

Issue was resolved, disabled windows update which was taking up an abnormal amount of processor. The game will take my CPU usage to 100% and then freeze, had this in every UE4 game I've tried.

Knight 43 82
  • 15 Sep '17
 jank

Thank you so much for the reply! It didn't seem to work, however.

I did decide to reinstall on the SSD, and it completely stopped the drops/ stutters. I was also reading some UE4 forums and it seems like stuttering is sometimes caused by Shadowplay, and disabling fixes it. It seems to work fine for me though.

Knight 2 0
  • 15 Sep '17
 ReviewedBread

I've had this issue specifically on Grad, and no other map. It was a persistent problem I had in chivalry as well so it may be a UE4 issue for me. But my CPU is aging and I've always been suspecting it's holding me back. The game is installed on an HDD, haven't tried it on my SSD.

AMD FX-8350
GTX 1080
8GB DDR3

Knight 43 82
  • 15 Sep '17
 jank

@ReviewedBread said:
I've had this issue specifically on Grad, and no other map. It was a persistent problem I had in chivalry as well so it may be a UE4 issue for me. But my CPU is aging and I've always been suspecting it's holding me back. The game is installed on an HDD, haven't tried it on my SSD.

AMD FX-8350
GTX 1080
8GB DDR3

It happened most persistently on Grad and Camp for me, Pit and Contraband weren't nearly as bad. If you haven't already, try disabling Shadowplay. I'd really like to see if that's causing issues with the game. If it doesn't work, reinstalling on an SSD completely solved the issue for me.

I never had the same problems in Chiv or other UE games though, so I'm not sure, could be your processor.

Knight 2 0
  • 15 Sep '17
 ReviewedBread

@jank said:

@ReviewedBread said:

AMD FX-8350
GTX 1080
8GB DDR3

It happened most persistently on Grad and Camp for me, Pit and Contraband weren't nearly as bad. If you haven't already, try disabling Shadowplay. I'd really like to see if that's causing issues with the game. If it doesn't work, reinstalling on an SSD completely solved the issue for me.

I never had the same problems in Chiv or other UE games though, so I'm not sure, could be your processor.

It turns out I never installed Nvidea GFE to have shadowplay in the first place. I'll move it to the SSD and update if that fixed the issue.

Knight 697 1611
  • 16 Sep '17
 das

The very first hour of playing the game, I had sudden frame freezes, one elapsing even 10 seconds or so.

Never again in the next 2 hours or next day of 4 hours.

1 0
  • 3 May '19
 CrazedPirate

Sounds like the issue is if you have the game on HDD? I saddly do not have an SSD so I guess this issue will persist for me. If anyone figures out another way of fixing it please do tell.

1 0
  • 11 May '19
 Desense

I've got the same issue. But dont have an ssd. Pls help.
SPECS: AMD FX 8320
1050 GTX TI
16 GB RAM