Mordhau

A guide to more FPS: POTATO MODE

108 106
  • 14 Sep '17
 Level

To my dismay there isn't an official Potato mode checkbox, so I took some initiative and made my own Potato mode.
Extra.png

To install it, download this 'DefaultScalability.ini' file, then overwrite the existing one at 'Steam\steamapps\common\Mordhau\Mordhau\Config'.

aLLaboutsettings.png

If you're really desperate in pumping out every single extra frame you can download this 'DefaultScalability.ini' instead.

If you would like the original file to undo the changes. 'DefaultScalability.ini'
|
Here are some before and Afters of my Potato Mode
Armory Before/After
Pit 1 Before/After
Pit 2 Before/After
I took these screenshots fairly quickly and wasn't standing in the same spot. Just kinda generally in the same area/direction.
|
As my knowledge of what the settings in the .ini are, is just from trial and error, testing each one out individually. I encourage someone with more experience than me make a proper Potato settings ini, as they're are probably several mistakes I've made and things I could've made better.

Although what would be the most preferable is if the developers could make a potato mode checkbox that was more optimized than doing it manually. Because so far it seems when you do it manually as I have, the lighting becomes very dark and other things occur as well. Like having foliage set to 0 but still having four leaf clovers on Grad.

TLDR: Potato Mode and some extra details about it like how to install it. I get around 40+fps on the non-desperate ini in solo local play with all 16 bots running on my computer.

Duchess 6861 9829
  • 14 Sep '17
 Sir Zombie

W8 can we still edit the .ini's?

108 106
  • 14 Sep '17
 Level

Yup !

Knight 1383 3152
  • 14 Sep '17
 Tim_Fragmagnet

r.Tonemapper.Sharpen 0 to remove the trash postprocessing known as sharpening.
it's a post processing trick to make bad textures look better, but in turn makes the edges of everything look like aids.

108 106
  • 14 Sep '17
 Level

Thanks for the info. Any other tips? Going to update this tutorial as I get more info and have more time. I already know some other things I could add.

Knight 2240 4026
  • 23 Sep '17
 Runagate

Bump for visibility in case someone needs this.

Knight 42 46
  • 4 Nov '17
 BasedPatriot

is it possible to use the floor textures without not being able to tell the difference between red and blue?

Duke 282 401
  • 5 Nov '17
 SeaFerret

It's beautiful.

396 453
  • 5 Nov '17
 JasonBourne

Lower your resolution as low as possible too, you will gain more fps.

Knight 86 133
  • 5 Nov '17
 Raegarth

This didn’t work for me, I had lower FPS... But thanks for the try

Knight 2307 4906
  • 5 Nov '17
 Survii

my ni🅱🅱a just made a minecraft mod 👌👌💯😂👌👌💯💯😂👌😂😂

Duke 2266 4007
  • 7 Nov '17
 Huggles

Ugliest shit I've ever seen. It's beautiful.

8 7

i'm glad I found this.

Note: Don't ever change r.ViewDistanceScale. It makes your game stutter.

1 0
  • 10 Jul
 Korpik

Anyone else have an issue when using two handed weapon your left arm is kind of sticking out of you're head when you swing?

523 566
  • 10 Jul
 Deadmode

@Level said:
To my dismay there isn't an official Potato mode checkbox, so I took some initiative and made my own Potato mode.

Probably because they expect people to run the game within the minimum recommended specs...

Informative post though, so have a like.

717 591

oh so ppl do know about this! i was worried i was gonna get rick'd for fuckin with ini files

3 4

@Korpik said:
Anyone else have an issue when using two handed weapon your left arm is kind of sticking out of you're head when you swing?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. Really like how it makes the weapons easier to see, but the floating left arm is pretty annoying. Anyone have a fix?

247 143

i mean... at this point, why would you even want to play the game lol, i mean that shit is hideous.

717 591

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:
i mean... at this point, why would you even want to play the game lol, i mean that shit is hideous.

yah i personally play highly competitive video games for the visuals

247 143

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

yah i personally play highly competitive video games for the visuals

well, why'd you wanna play something that looks like utter garbage even if you are "competitive" ?
that picture alone gives me eye cancer, i can only imagine how ugly the game is in motion with those settings.
like dude whats even the point when you gotta stoop so low to even play at all?
stop being a J-word and invest in a new PC, or a graphics card at the least.. maybe get more than 2gb ram as well.