Mordhau

Dedicated Server Hosting Guide (Linux)

9 2

@ExCTyrdlu said:
I created start script for systemd with on failure restart and update validate

Systemd unit

sudo cat > /etc/systemd/system/mordhau.service <<EOL
[Unit]
Description=Mordhau Server
Requires=network.target local-fs.target
After=network.target local-fs.target

[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5
StartLimitInterval=60s
StartLimitBurst=3
User=steam
Group=steam
ExecStartPre=/home/steam/Steam/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +runscript /home/steam/Steam/update_mordhau.txt
ExecStart=/home/steam/Steam/mordhau/Mordhau/Binaries/Linux/MordhauServer-Linux-Shipping Mordhau
ExecStop=/bin/kill -SIGINT $MAINPID

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
EOL

Installation

sudo systemctl enable mordhau.service

sudo systemctl start mordhau.service

it replaces the original startup script you can only use this one.

Can you please tell me how to start the server on a specific Port and QueryPort?
Normally i start my second server on the same machine with nohup ./MordhauServer.sh -Port=7780 -QueryPort=27016 &
Where do i have to append these parameters in the mordhau.service?

EDIT:
Found a solution myself. Just add -Port=7780 -QueryPort=27016 to ExecStart Command

2 0
  • 9 May
 Sharpie171

@Kaervan said:

@Fassan said:

@ExCTyrdlu said:
@Fassan
My 22 player server running on 1x 2.095GHz, 2GB RAM, 20GB SSD 100/100 Mbps, tickrate is 60. I haven't problem with overload/lags on full server.

bandwidth.PNG

This is my cpu load on 16 player:

mordhau2.PNG

But I am running at 120 tickrate, is that overkill?
When I was running 32 players sometimes I got small lags and the cpu then spiked for like a minute.

A dev confirmed in another thread that the server only requires one core. The official servers are quad core ~4ghz systems running one server per core. The deciding factors for a good experience are

CPU speed - player count dependent on core speed
Bandwidth - need sufficient throughput for player count

Your tickrate will have a direct impact on both of these. Your server is receiving data from all the clients for what they are doing, and sending the data for what everyone is doing to everyone. The tickrate is the rate that the client updates are received and sent. A higher tickrate means that the client will send that many updates to the server per second, and your server will send those updates to clients. This will drive more cpu load for processing and more bandwidth usage (PPS, BPS).

To compare, I'm running a 32 player server on a 2.1ghz CPU at a tickrate of 60, and haven't heard any complaints. Here's a clip of my server load while it was full yesterday:
mordhau.png

I already have Ubuntu installed and it is headless, so I was planning on implementing a server based on this guide. How did these users get a visual representation of their server's performance? Is this something in Ubuntu desktop or a GUI package? I have read that having a server with a GUI package or running the server on Ubuntu Desktop introduces potential security risks. How is this implemented without introducing those risks or are those risks not large enough to matter?

8 1

I'm having hard time to make my server work. Can someone take a look ? Thank you
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/15708/help-running-a-dedicated-server/#c1

36 12
  • 11 May
 Taki7o7

So i've a small "problem".

Me as admin from a server want to be able to join my server, not matter if both teams are full already. I was thinking maybe i can just increase the slots, but no :(

It would be really really helpful for admins if you add a whitelist or let admins join always, not matter how many players.

2 0
  • 17 May
 Walki

I'm running a bare-metal debian 8 server and I've encountered a weird problem. The game server crashes on mapchange (end of round) with the following log error (being spammed over and over again until a stacktrace is printed):

[2019.05.17-10.25.53:236][230]LogMordhauGameSession: Error: Session GameSession could not be created
[2019.05.17-10.25.53:236][230]LogOnline: Warning: Mordhau: Cannot create session 'GameSession': session already exists.

People also periodically get kicked off with a "VAC Check timed out" error.
k_EAuthSessionResponseVACCheckTimedOut

The server is running inside a docker container, the server itself is using a high frequency 1000Hz kernel (which works fine for CS:GO & Squad servers).

Game.All.ini:
[/Script/Mordhau.MordhauGameMode]
PlayerRespawnTime=0.000000
BallistaRespawnTime=30.000000
CatapultRespawnTime=30.000000
HorseRespawnTime=30.000000
DamageFactor=1.000000
TeamDamageFactor=0.500000
MapRotation=FFA_ThePit
MapRotation=FFA_Contraband

[/Script/Mordhau.MordhauGameSession]
bIsLANServer=False
MaxSlots=24
ServerName="XXXXXXXXXXXX"
ServerPassword=
AdminPassword=XXXXXXXXXXXX
Admins=0
BannedPlayers=()

Engine.All.ini:
[/Script/EngineSettings.GameMapsSettings]
ServerDefaultMap=/Game/Mordhau/Maps/Contraband/FFA_Contraband

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=120

Container entrypoint:
./home/steam/mordhau-dedicated/MordhauServer.sh -log -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27010 -BeaconPort=15000 -GAMEINI=[...]/Game.All.ini -ENGINEINI=[...]/Engine.All.ini

Dockerfile for reference:
https://github.com/CM2Walki/Mordhau/blob/master/Dockerfile

Can anyone spot a misconfiguration? Could it be a timing problem with my custom kernel?

1 0
  • 1
  • 18 May
 haerviu

Thank you for this great post.

I am not so experienced with servers, but I happen to have a couple of running EC2 instances on Amazon AWS (ubuntu), and I am looking to host my mordhau game server on it (currently I have one on g-portal).

My noob question is, can I do this on AWS? If yes, can I do it on a running instance or should I create a new instance for the game server?

Any extra tips/recommendations or notes are kindly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Baron 25 6
  • 18 May
 AleX

Anyone have a solution to this issue ?
When I use an other IP for my servers (using multihome) I can see it in the server browser.

That s not the first time I have this issue with UDK4 games.

1 0
  • 2
  • 18 May
 TraeF

okay i followed everyguide i could found with completly clean start every attemp.
it doesnt matte if use the manual version or the LGSM version witch is fairly easy for an noob like me to handle but still...

THE PROBLEMS:
-The server starts with no errors only some warnings
-I can find my server in the browser
-I can connect over browser and ip
-as soon i am on the server im stuck with no menu at all cant start or do anything only thing i can do is open console and type disconnect

Help pls!

My vserver:
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit
CPU vCores 8
RAM 16 GB

Console log:
https://pastebin.com/7iab8UsU

Ini file contents:
https://pastebin.com/Qvx6rQ2Y

Video of the weird behavior :/
https://clips.twitch.tv/CautiousBenevolentLampTwitchRPG

2 0
  • 18 May
 Walki

@Walki said:
I'm running a bare-metal debian 8 server and I've encountered a weird problem. The game server crashes on mapchange (end of round) with the following log error (being spammed over and over again until a stacktrace is printed):

[2019.05.17-10.25.53:236][230]LogMordhauGameSession: Error: Session GameSession could not be created
[2019.05.17-10.25.53:236][230]LogOnline: Warning: Mordhau: Cannot create session 'GameSession': session already exists.

People also periodically get kicked off with a "VAC Check timed out" error.
k_EAuthSessionResponseVACCheckTimedOut

The server is running inside a docker container, the server itself is using a high frequency 1000Hz kernel (which works fine for CS:GO & Squad servers).

Game.All.ini:
[/Script/Mordhau.MordhauGameMode]
PlayerRespawnTime=0.000000
BallistaRespawnTime=30.000000
CatapultRespawnTime=30.000000
HorseRespawnTime=30.000000
DamageFactor=1.000000
TeamDamageFactor=0.500000
MapRotation=FFA_ThePit
MapRotation=FFA_Contraband

[/Script/Mordhau.MordhauGameSession]
bIsLANServer=False
MaxSlots=24
ServerName="XXXXXXXXXXXX"
ServerPassword=
AdminPassword=XXXXXXXXXXXX
Admins=0
BannedPlayers=()

Engine.All.ini:
[/Script/EngineSettings.GameMapsSettings]
ServerDefaultMap=/Game/Mordhau/Maps/Contraband/FFA_Contraband

[/Script/OnlineSubsystemUtils.IpNetDriver]
NetServerMaxTickRate=120

Container entrypoint:
./home/steam/mordhau-dedicated/MordhauServer.sh -log -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27010 -BeaconPort=15000 -GAMEINI=[...]/Game.All.ini -ENGINEINI=[...]/Engine.All.ini

Dockerfile for reference:
https://github.com/CM2Walki/Mordhau/blob/master/Dockerfile

Can anyone spot a misconfiguration? Could it be a timing problem with my custom kernel?

I fixed the issue. It was caused by the .ini file names:
I changed Game.All.ini to Game.in
and Engine.All.ini to Engine.ini
Now everything is working fine.

1 0
  • 19 May
 snooops

@TraeF said:
okay i followed everyguide i could found with completly clean start every attemp.
it doesnt matte if use the manual version or the LGSM version witch is fairly easy for an noob like me to handle but still...

THE PROBLEMS:
-The server starts with no errors only some warnings
-I can find my server in the browser
-I can connect over browser and ip
-as soon i am on the server im stuck with no menu at all cant start or do anything only thing i can do is open console and type disconnect

Help pls!

My vserver:
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit
CPU vCores 8
RAM 16 GB

Console log:
https://pastebin.com/7iab8UsU

Ini file contents:
https://pastebin.com/Qvx6rQ2Y

Video of the weird behavior :/
https://clips.twitch.tv/CautiousBenevolentLampTwitchRPG

I am facing the same issue

3 0
  • 20 May
 paganwizard

Since three updates ago or so my server keeps saying the following:

"This server is running a newer version than the game"

How do I fix this? I've reinstalled the server completely twice now.

9 0
  • 24 May
 patch.0

How can I connect to my own server running in a diferent PC and diferent network?
For everyone appears in server browser but dont for me.

Here I explain my problem:
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/16691/cant-connect-to-dmz-server/#c1

6 0
  • 3
  • 24 May
 Arctyx

Hi. I have an issue when hosting a server from another computer on my LAN. For some reason I cannot see or connect to it, while others outside my network can do so just fine. I followed this guide properly and have managed to set up a server as well on EC2 which is doing incredibly well:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/mordhau/3601406

However since it started doing so well, EC2 got me good with the bandwidth costs (I'm bleeding $15/day on bandwidth costs, no idea why Mordhau DS is transferring so much data for a game server). That said, if I'm able to resolve my in-home hosting issues, then I can host my server free indefinitely.

For reference, here's my locally hosted duel server showing up online, but not for me:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/mordhau/3626403

  • I followed exactly the same setup as my fully working AWS server.
  • I have forwarded the proper ports, and even tried using nonstandard ports to no avail.
  • I've checked and double checked the ports are open on the server machine itself (running Ubuntu Server 18.04)
  • It shows up on Internet Servers for everyone outside my network.
  • It doesn't show up on Local Servers for me.
  • open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port doesn't work either. The command literally does nothing when I try to join my own local server.

Any help would be much appreciated since I do not want to stop hosting as there are only a few good ping servers in SEA.

Cheers!

Knight 123 262
  • 26 May
 Vin¢

@Arctyx said:
Hi. I have an issue when hosting a server from another computer on my LAN. For some reason I cannot see or connect to it, while others outside my network can do so just fine. I followed this guide properly and have managed to set up a server as well on EC2 which is doing incredibly well:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/mordhau/3601406

However since it started doing so well, EC2 got me good with the bandwidth costs (I'm bleeding $15/day on bandwidth costs, no idea why Mordhau DS is transferring so much data for a game server). That said, if I'm able to resolve my in-home hosting issues, then I can host my server free indefinitely.

For reference, here's my locally hosted duel server showing up online, but not for me:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/mordhau/3626403

  • I followed exactly the same setup as my fully working AWS server.
  • I have forwarded the proper ports, and even tried using nonstandard ports to no avail.
  • I've checked and double checked the ports are open on the server machine itself (running Ubuntu Server 18.04)
  • It shows up on Internet Servers for everyone outside my network.
  • It doesn't show up on Local Servers for me.
  • open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port doesn't work either. The command literally does nothing when I try to join my own local server.

Any help would be much appreciated since I do not want to stop hosting as there are only a few good ping servers in SEA.

Cheers!

Did you check that the beacon port 15000 is reachable? (see here)

6 0
  • 26 May
 Arctyx

@Vin¢ said:

@Arctyx said:
Hi. I have an issue when hosting a server from another computer on my LAN. For some reason I cannot see or connect to it, while others outside my network can do so just fine. I followed this guide properly and have managed to set up a server as well on EC2 which is doing incredibly well:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/mordhau/3601406

However since it started doing so well, EC2 got me good with the bandwidth costs (I'm bleeding $15/day on bandwidth costs, no idea why Mordhau DS is transferring so much data for a game server). That said, if I'm able to resolve my in-home hosting issues, then I can host my server free indefinitely.

For reference, here's my locally hosted duel server showing up online, but not for me:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/mordhau/3626403

  • I followed exactly the same setup as my fully working AWS server.
  • I have forwarded the proper ports, and even tried using nonstandard ports to no avail.
  • I've checked and double checked the ports are open on the server machine itself (running Ubuntu Server 18.04)
  • It shows up on Internet Servers for everyone outside my network.
  • It doesn't show up on Local Servers for me.
  • open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port doesn't work either. The command literally does nothing when I try to join my own local server.

Any help would be much appreciated since I do not want to stop hosting as there are only a few good ping servers in SEA.

Cheers!

Did you check that the beacon port 15000 is reachable? (see here)

Hi. Yes as I mentioned in my post, anyone outside the local network can connect to it just fine, and it shows up on public server lists. Only computers being on the same LAN cannot see/join it. That's the only thing keeping me from hosting locally since I actually want to play on my server too.

3 0
  • 26 May
 paganwizard

@paganwizard said:
Since three updates ago or so my server keeps saying the following:

"This server is running a newer version than the game"

How do I fix this? I've reinstalled the server completely twice now.

Bumping this because nobody has given me a resolution yet.

I've waited for updates then downloaded the update, reinstalled the server etc, nothing.

36 12
  • 1
  • 26 May
 Taki7o7

@paganwizard said:

@paganwizard said:
Since three updates ago or so my server keeps saying the following:

"This server is running a newer version than the game"

How do I fix this? I've reinstalled the server completely twice now.

Bumping this because nobody has given me a resolution yet.

I've waited for updates then downloaded the update, reinstalled the server etc, nothing.

Always use the validate option from steamcmd when updating the server.

3 0

@Taki7o7 said:

@paganwizard said:

@paganwizard said:
Since three updates ago or so my server keeps saying the following:

"This server is running a newer version than the game"

How do I fix this? I've reinstalled the server completely twice now.

Bumping this because nobody has given me a resolution yet.

I've waited for updates then downloaded the update, reinstalled the server etc, nothing.

Always use the validate option from steamcmd when updating the server.

update_mordhau.txt has the "validate" option enabled by default

8 1

[2019.06.04-20.24.09:164][228]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 10.10.10.15:56865

Using command line to connect to my server (open 10.10.20.7)
Nothing happen ? Can someone help me ?

9 0
  • 5 Jun
 patch.0

@Nico8fa5bd8bb14642e2 said:
[2019.06.04-20.24.09:164][228]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 10.10.10.15:56865

Using command line to connect to my server (open 10.10.20.7)
Nothing happen ? Can someone help me ?

same here, I think that is a kind off bug. Its no possible to join a server that is running on other network or either in the same LAN.

take a look to my toppic https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/16691/cant-connect-to-dmz-server/#c1