Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Attack acceleration

3234 4264
  • 13 Sep '17
 Havoc

Anyone else find the attack acceleration just a tad bit too much?

Count 449 1186
  • 13 Sep '17
 Hadeus

Yes, releases are way too fast atm. I'd rather deal with drags than guessworking when to parry unreadable accelerations.

Duchess 6896 9886
Knight 697 1611
  • 13 Sep '17
 das

Still too early to say, but I do like how attacks are more of a commitment, more dodge-able, and just more viscerally satisfying (strikes feel like strikes, not like you're gliding a fan). From a spectator and newcomer's perspective, it just looks better too to not see people dragging everything.

I don't think I'd find enemy attacks feeling "too fast" if the dynamic strike input was more responsive. That, and I don't have all the windup animations ingrained into my mind yet. In Slasher, chambering was sometimes even the easier option than parrying because you don't have to turn to the swing to be able to chamber it away (e.g. someone LMBs to your left, you start a left LMB attack rather than turn around and parry). But the unreliable dynamic strike is going to make me revert to Chivalry pre-binds + ALT modifier until it's improved or when the pre-bind + dynamic direction is implemented.

3234 4264
  • 13 Sep '17
 Havoc

It's not that enemy attacks are too fast, the main issue is where you yourself or an opponent can just zoom in with an attack. The acceleration is a tad unpredictable in terms of forward momentum.

In terms of parrying or chambering, mordhau is stupidly easier than slasher. The parry window is quite large and so is the hitbox. I guess they wanted it to be a lot more accessible for users.

I've also noticed in Mordhau this weird hang-up pause on attacks right after being winded up which is a bit odd. I'm guessing it's for opponent feedback, but it creates this issue of an opponent's attack will hang in the air for a second then the actual attack will be lighting fast.

Knight 337 778
  • 13 Sep '17
 AngelEyes

+1, Yes.

Duke 162 274
  • 13 Sep '17
 BEACHES

@Havoc said:
Anyone else find the attack acceleration just a tad bit too much?

On LMBs it's very hard to discern normal movement from an attack startup animation, and the LMB accels are super good. Overhead accels aren't as good.

Comp-wise, lmb accells aren't viable as you'll just hit your teammate, but in duels they are pretty stupidly good so far. Only a couple days in though...

Knight 399 873
  • 13 Sep '17
 Alphonse

@Havoc said:
It's not that enemy attacks are too fast, the main issue is where you yourself or an opponent can just zoom in with an attack. The acceleration is a tad unpredictable in terms of forward momentum.

Yup, second this. Some Zwei attacks zoom in crazily fast.

I also haven't been able to consistently produce those zoom ins myself, at least with heavy loadouts.

3234 4264
  • 14 Sep '17
 Havoc

I hope this stupid mechanic didn't come up as a result of players turning their back and sprinting in the opposite direction to avoid an attack.

Knight 82 100
  • 14 Sep '17
 FrozenAura

I have seen a few people dodge attacks by swinging in the other direction. Like if multiple people were attacking from two separate angles and they couldn't block both. Seems to be faster to just turn around and swing than to turn around and start sprinting. (I assume this is what you mean by attack acceleration, the step forward as an attack is placed? Attack acceleration might be a bad term)

Knight 256 264
  • 14 Sep '17
 CrimsonKing

Yeah there seems to be quite a bunny hop when performing an attack and moving forward, you cover a lot of distance. More than in chiv if I'm not mistaken. Or it's the lowered fov that's messing with me.

Count 164 304
  • 14 Sep '17
 ColonelMustache

What exactly do you mean by "attack acceleration?"

Knight 152 100
  • 14 Sep '17
 Lilboots

I don't find them to fast, I just find some of the windup phase animations to immediate. some are good, but repost upward strikes are the devil at the moment,

3234 4264
  • 14 Sep '17
 Havoc

When you can use this shitty mechanic to outrun people

Knight 697 1611
  • 14 Sep '17
 das

You sure those aren't chambers that are "insta"ing you? The only times I find myself getting hit by ripostes is if I lose sight, they drag against my chamber, or I input the wrong chamber direction or mistime it. But I do see them coming at any rate.

Chambers are brutally fast because they windup before you hit them. If you see your opponent attacking while you are... don't blink! Hell, rely on the ears more than eyes if you must.

Edit: I think I replied to the wrong thread.

3234 4264
  • 15 Sep '17
 Havoc

Everyone I've met in both slasher and mordhau is now giggling at you das.

Knight 174 263
  • 15 Sep '17
 Echonian

There are two accelerations I've had a problem with before - zweihanders (great swords are even worse) and bastard swords.

For the former, the horizontal swing is easy to see starting - but it suddenly accelerates at lightning speed from a slow start-up, to the point that I've been beheaded a few times by an attack that still visually appears to be two feet away.

The bastard sword on the other hand, the stab in particular, is ridiculous. The acceleration on that has instantly killed me on ripostes before I could even THINK to parry the attack.

Attacks need to be readable to be able to be countered, unless we are expected to panic parry at all times.

Then again, balance wasn't the concern in the alpha, and most of us are still garbage (myself included), so I'll withhold judgement.

Knight 697 1611
  • 16 Sep '17
 das

@Havoc said:
Everyone I've met in both slasher and mordhau is now giggling at you das.

I feel a bit dense, idgi.

414 418
  • 16 Sep '17
 nohbdy

Releases should only be long enough to be able to drag around chambers imo. Definitely shouldn't increase releases so drags will beat both parries and chambers (which they already kinda do with the Zweihander and Evening Star). I think Zwei and Eve' Star need shorter releases, but then again I don't know the numbers :/

Knight 697 1611
  • 16 Sep '17
 das

That's kind of the defining feature of those weapons though. Otherwise, might as well just be another polearm.