Mordhau

Inspiring Siege / Castle images (aid for level design)

50 249
  • 29 Jul '16
 Corsario

First of all, congrats for this ambitious project that Mordhau represents. I've been following the forums since the first devblogs and decided to contribute in my own way. I like how this game is respecting some form of historical resemblance with the European medieval era and will gladly spend some time with the UE4 editor when it is available for custom map design. Until then, I think it might be useful for Vesanus and company to have a compilation of inspiring (and "google rare") siege or castle images, which always spark or trigger new arquitectural or battle environment ideas without the need to copy them.

I would recommend not to use other games' or fantasy images and to avoid the meme plague as Marox recommended (I know its hard to resist the temptation, specially when devblogs stretch so afar in time, but keeping the post tidy will help the devs).

Here are my first images

https://basazole.artstation.com/portfolio/the-kaunas-castle-siege-1362

El Cid,-27B.jpg

El Cid,-27C.jpg

SanFelices-castillo2.jpg

1.jpg

46 164
  • 29 Jul '16
 Vesanus — Level Design

Thanks @Corsario.
This is great stuff!

1396 726
  • 29 Jul '16
 vanguard

Holy fuck man, amazing pics tbh! Also great initiative imo!

50 249
  • 1 Aug '16
 Corsario

Some more images. The first two pics correspond to the fortified bridges of Besalú and Frías (used as toll & defensive bridges). The third is the fortified house of Villarluengo.

Besalu-ciudad-medieval.jpg

puente frias.jpg

masia_fortificada_en_villarluengo.jpg

asedio jerusalen 01.png

114 764
  • 1 Aug '16
 elwebbaro — Art

Hey @Corsario, nice to see you here! Thanks for the images, great stuff!

25 19
  • 1 Aug '16
 AjajpAlejandro

Cuanto tiempo sin verte, Corsario xD. ¿Sigue vivo Acero Toledano?

50 249
  • 2 Aug '16
 Corsario

Hi @elwebbaro, I hope you guys find the pics useful. Ill keep posting more images when I come back from my hollidays!

Hola @AjajpAlejandro, parece que somos asiduos seguidores del género medieval jeje. Acero Toledano sigue vivo, como comunidad fuera del Chivalry, entorno a nuestro ts (dándole a multitud de juegos). Agrégame por steam si quieres unirte!

50 249
  • 23 Aug '16
 Corsario

Here are some new interesting images.

Castle of Riba de Santiuste
castillo_riba_santiuste_4.jpg
castillo_riba_santiuste_2.jpg

Dirleton Castle model (I found the aesthetics of the moat and the fence really awesome)
Dirleton-Castle-model-side-view-©-2012-Scotiana.jpg

Labelled siege picture
siege-1-with-labels.jpg

Kingdom of Heaven movie frame. Knocking down siege towers, as in the film, would be incredible!
kingdom_of_heaven.jpg

883 1090
  • 23 Aug '16
 Tim_Fragmagnet

Linked to the time where they talk about castle fortifications and sieges. (31 minutes)

TLDR,
Not every castle fortification was designed to be functional
Siege weapons cost a lot of money.

46 164
  • 23 Aug '16
 Vesanus — Level Design

Ah, if we would only get more threads like this..

A+

242 477
  • 23 Aug '16
 Hiemal

The Siege of Kenilworth Castle

kenilworth-castle-reconstruction.jpg

This is a real castle in England which was besieged on 25 June 1266.

I think this would make for an epic siege/objective map, starting with breaking through the walls on the western side before having to make a long and painful run across the open bridge to the main stronghold. Obviously the defenders would have a huge advantage, but I imagine for the attackers actually being able to make it to the end of that long stretch would feel amazing.

Maybe we could even see some tactics to defend against projectiles like a vikings shield wall or possibly a Roman testudo formation like below.

Bh-NUOXCIAEWm0k.jpg

Testudo_formation.jpg

It would be interesting to see if the team could all come together in a line and charge at once, or maybe some armoured knights could act as a human shield while so that an archer can pick off defenders while stood behind him. Although of course there's always going to be that one Russian kid who just cyka blyats every time but I think it could work nonetheless.

Anyway here's my basic idea:

kenilworth-castle-reconstruction - Copy.jpg

1844 1149
  • 23 Aug '16
 Humble Staff

@Hiemal said:
The Siege of Kenilworth Castle

kenilworth-castle-reconstruction.jpg

This is a real castle in England which was besieged on 25 June 1266.

I think this would make for an epic siege/objective map, starting with breaking through the walls on the western side before having to make a long and painful run across the open bridge to the main stronghold. Obviously the defenders would have a huge advantage, but I imagine for the attackers actually being able to make it to the end of that long stretch would feel amazing.

Maybe we could even see some tactics to defend against projectiles like a vikings shield wall or possibly a Roman testudo formation like below.

Bh-NUOXCIAEWm0k.jpg

Testudo_formation.jpg

It would be interesting to see if the team could all come together in a line and charge at once, or maybe some armoured knights could act as a human shield while so that an archer can pick off defenders while stood behind him. Although of course there's always going to be that one Russian kid who just cyka blyats every time but I think it could work nonetheless.

Anyway here's my basic idea:

kenilworth-castle-reconstruction - Copy.jpg

This is gold.

46 164
  • 23 Aug '16
 Vesanus — Level Design

Keep 'em coming.

1844 1149
  • 23 Aug '16
 Humble Staff

@Vesanus said:
Ah, if we would only get more threads like this..

A+

You are sayin dat all of our other stupid topics are worthless? Son sob i just wanted to be popular shoots himself

485 341
  • 24 Aug '16
 EliteTeamKiller

On a serious note, regarding seiges that lasted a single day, how did one side generally win? By killing all the enemy or by lasting 45 minutes? Please combine Siege TO with TDM and once "resources" (shared lives) run out for a team make it LTS instead of using a timer, so either defenders can make their glorious Last Stand or attackers can make their glorious Final Charge and die like heroes!!!!

84 112

I really enjoy reading this thread so I thought I might add some pictures :D

In the game I want a kind of gloomy aesthetic on some of the maps, something in this style:

Scottish Castle.jpg

I also really enjoyed @Hiemal idea about the long walkway. I think this could allow some epic moments, and it would really encourage team work. Im thinking something similar to this:

Castle Walkway.jpg

But perhaps as a bigger castle, with some high towers like this:

Castle Tower.jpg

For the inside of the castle, parts of the "village" or such could look like something in this style, which I think look really cool:

Castle Village.jpg

In general I think the layout of the castle could also be something like this:

Castle Plan.jpg

And it would be cool if the interior looked something like this:

Castle Interior.jpg

For FFA or LTS (or a combo of both) some overgrown ruins would be very cool, with some open areas and a couple of hidden passages and such:

Castle Ruin.jpg

Castle Ruin Overgrown.jpg

In Team Objective however, it would be cool if there were a lot of dynamic elements in the map, such as being able to throw rocks, breaking wooden objects (ladders, small walls, doors, fences etc.), cutting ropes (which the enemy could climb on?). It would also be cool if you could be able to destroy entire towers and walls, with the help of siege engines. Imagine being at the top of a tall tower like this:

Castle Tower 2.jpg

And having it crumble beneath you as you try to find a way out, or if need be, jump out (you could land in a bale of hay and survive perhaps?)

Lastly I have a few images only for inspiration:

Castle Ruin(ish).jpg

Castle on a cliff.jpg

Castle Cool.jpg

Thx for reading.

1844 1149
  • 24 Aug '16
 Humble Staff

inside castles or buildings you could put tables with lots of things to throw (food, dishes, bottles) and you could kick or interact with them (as a short animation like in chivalry when you drop the burning oil from the walls) so the table flips and makes for cover. You could put torches in the walls that could be picked up and thrown (or a little interactive animation again) at banners, carpets, tapestry, furniture, etc. It could serve an offensive purpose like starting a fire in a room with dire consequences or just for the sake of chaos.
EDIT: railings in stairs, upper corridors and balconies could be breakable when you kick someone into them, or kicking someone into them may make them fall off. You could add some furniture, barrels or any large object near some stairs so they could be thrown/pushed downstairs into people.