Mordhau

Alpha Feedback and Suggestions Thread

Knight 39 51

@Duckalot said:

@LuxCandidus said:
As someone with zero competitive experience in Chivalry, I really hate how a match can only be won with extreme dragging, feinting, and morphing. Losing to any of these feels cheap and frustrating. While the game is great, it feels like it was built to commemorate the mechanics which ruined Chivalry for me and most others. I think this feedback will be useful because you will hear it from the vast majority of players not migrating from Chivalry, especially when the beta launches and even more prominently when the game is released.

Well first of all im gonna say that Mordhau was made by old chivalry players with the intent to take what was good in chiv and polish it as much as possible. So obviously the devs support feints and drags(nerfed, but still drags), which means they probably arent going to remove them just because some people are new to the mechanics.

Second, lets say they DID remove feints, drags and morphs. What does that leave us? The only main mechanics is attacking, chambering and blocking.
If 2 veterans go at eachother with only those 3 mechanics, the only thing thats gonna make 1 lose is either panics or running out of stamina. And veterans dont panic often at all, especially if u remove the only mechanics prone to trigger panics.
And if you are in a Team objective game and the clock is ticking down, you cant be stuck in endless duels. Its not viable at all. Players needs to be able to kill fast to actually accomplish their objective.

Not exactly, they come from chivlary, mount and blade, etc. For example, mount and blade has feints, but you need to block exaclty in the direction of the enemy sword. So you can not pain and you have not panic blocks. This is a good point for mount and blade. So free feints and free blocks. --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_MmmwilZ0

Knight 399 868
  • 15 Sep '17
 Alphonse

Some people don't like how the FOV and camera distance gives you the impression your arms are 2 inches from your face, and I don't entirely agree with them. Still, there are several implications, one being that it's hard to read stuff when you get faced hugged, and another one is that it's hard to perceive how long your weapon truly because you can never see the tip (I had posted something along these lines back in Slasher and Marox was kind enough to give me access ot the build).

The current FOV limit makes things quite immersive and I actually like it. Seeing my own shoulders (a la Chiv 140 Fov) would be aesthetically displeasing.

However, what I would like is seeing more of my arms when I get flinched or kicked, just to remind myself I still have arms or that I wasn't disarmed. In 3P it's obvious where your arms go when your opponent hits you, but in 1P it's a "wtf happened to my hands" moment.

IRL, if you were kicked in the chest, your hands would stay in front of you due to inertia. This is something that might be implemented into Mordhau, and in case the animations are not fully completed, I'm sorry in advance my dear Crushed:

• Leave one or both hands in plain sight with an appropriate "fuck, I got hit" animation.

• Which hand stays or which one is more noticeable depends on where the hit came from. For example, if you get hit on your left side, your right hand would be noticeable or closer to your 1P camera because your body would be pushed to the right.

• If you get hit with a lower strike, arms would would descend. If you get hit with an upper strike, your arms would stay a little above the center of your camera.

This animation element would give you a little more feedback of your own self and surroundings. IRL this is called proprioception, i.e., the ability to tell where your body parts are, relative to other body parts (it's just one of those extra senses humans have). With sufficient practice time in any FPS, you will develop some sort of virtual proprioception, but the best games really polish this aspect of character animations to the point where you feel "one" with your virtual avatar.

@PhillyCheesesteak said:
Controls

It can be quite hard to specify whether you want a lower left or left swing.

You can practice the motion slowly to get swings to go in whatever direction. At least that way I improved a little, but in the middle of combat it's awfully hard to pull instantly because to get the directional input to work, you have to telegraph the direction earlier for it to register consitently, and this not only costs time making attacks slower, but you also may lose focus of what your opponent is doing, making sudden FTP harder to pull when needed.

At any rate, for the life of me I can't do left stabs consistently. I'll flick the mouse to the left at different speeds, at different moments, but 90% of the time it's just a regular right side stab. It's as if the window for directional stabs is even shorter than other strikes.

Knight 60 111
  • 15 Sep '17
 420SmokePyro

@Alphonse said:
Some people don't like how the FOV and camera distance gives you the impression your arms are 2 inches from your face, and I don't entirely agree with them. Still, there are several implications, one being that it's hard to read stuff when you get faced hugged, and another one is that it's hard to perceive how long your weapon truly because you can never see the tip.

The current FOV limit makes things quite immersive and I actually like it. Seeing my own shoulders (a la Chiv 140 Fov) would be aesthetically displeasing.

I don't really like to see my shoulders like in chiv but I don't like to have my hands 2cm away from my face neither.That isn't immersive at all and it's very annoying for me tbh. I really want that to be changed.

Knight 60 111
  • 15 Sep '17
 420SmokePyro

Shields hitboxes need to be more accurate. When you hit the legs of the opponent when the shield is up it's like if they were covered. If they fixed that shields would be less OP imho.

Knight 925 2541
  • 15 Sep '17
 Pred

Today I equipped the Arming Sword for a first time and tried throwing it.

I made my first 4 throws, killing 3 people, then missed 1 shot, made another 3 in a row and then missed 1 again. 7/9, no prior experience in throwing Arming Swords,

It's way too easy to aim, I certainly hope it's not an indication of how archery will work.

Knight 63 88
  • 15 Sep '17
 greyfox

Suggestion: a "god mode" command especially for singleplayer would be extremely useful. Im excercising chambering with bots but it sucks to die after 2 hits. Would be so good if I would have just unlimited health to keep practicing effectively!

Baron 291 224
  • 15 Sep '17
 Esa1996

@greyfox said:
Suggestion: a "god mode" command especially for singleplayer would be extremely useful. Im excercising chambering with bots but it sucks to die after 2 hits. Would be so good if I would have just unlimited health to keep practicing effectively!

I've been doing the exact same. Good idea.

Knight 63 88
  • 15 Sep '17
 greyfox

yep, it's very annoying to respawn and run back to the bot, would be much better with unlimited health!

Knight 24 106
  • 16 Sep '17
 Doppelsöldner

I've been glitching the bots on raised platforms (they don't seem to like stairs) and just backing off to heal when hit and cancelling my successful chambers to keep them alive.

16 11
  • 16 Sep '17
 VladimusMaximus

Probably already mentioned but finding a lot of inconsistency with following:

• Directional attacks don't register on all weapons.
  • Stabs and overhead attacks don't always register or hit even though they clearly go through the mesh. Especially for stabs with pole arms and pole axe etc. The stab also does not go towards the cross-hair but to the side of it, and a lot of the time it does not seem to register a hit.
Knight 25 83
  • 16 Sep '17
 Wiebusje

Please make feinting take more stamina, cause now it's like feinting simulator 2017.

Duke 83 87
  • 17 Sep '17
 Elko

Code

• Please compile with IS_MONOLITHIC = 0, so plugins can be dynamically loaded. More info here
  • Use latest UE4 build version
Mercenary 2187 3902
  • 17 Sep '17
 EruTheTeapot

Animations & Effects & Sounds

• Some clear hits don't show Blood and Sound effects when striking the enemy. They stagger back like hit but without blood, sparkle and sound.
Knight 399 868
  • 17 Sep '17
 Alphonse

Maps / Camp

A great thing I noticed in this map is this fellow.

dummy.jpg

My suggestion is to employ it as a fully functional practice dummy, to practice aim, your drags, the reach of the different attacks and how they combo. Since this object currently has collisions like any other regular object, instead of reacting like a character, you can only do a bit of dragging and aiming practice before your strike CLANKS.

Menus / Controls

Create macros for combining multiple emotes. You know you can morph them already, and mixing some of them produce really interesting emotes like more complex flourishes and stuff, but it's hard to get the timing right every single try.

I know I'll be making a keyboard macro just for this though. X3 short pause X1 should telegraph enough that I want to duel without any disrespect (nor showing I plan to cut your throat).

The macros could be saved as custom emotes with their own menu ingame accessible through a designated keybind.

Knight 925 2541
  • 17 Sep '17
 Pred

Finally got some more time to play, so I'll elaborate on some observations.

Game is too facehug-y - the morph/chamber/feint battles at a distance are super fun, but the way to win fights is spastic movement in 100% facehug mode. Whoever lands a first hit and gets close gains the initiative to combo feint attacks that are often barely visible in the other persons camera. Kick is pretty useless and slow and people have been picking-up on crazy aggresiveness and "if-he's-not-currently-riposting-or-comboing-I-should-attack-ASAP" being the way to play, so waiting for an opening to kick often leads to you eating another hit.

This kind of makes me think that a newcomer in this game would be inclined to play in 3rd person. You can see opponent's animations more clearly and hide yours without losing the sight of him (which is still a little problematic for me, even though I had 1.5 hours in Chivalry ant a lower FOV). It may or may not hamper their ability to chamber, but let's be realistic - everyone who is not a Mordhau4Life god-player will probably only be chambering stabs and occasionaly some telegraphed strikes from distance.

Accelerations are too fast - I've died like this many times:

1. See a horizontal attack coming from 1-1.5 meter range
  2. It's in windup, almost no distance traveled
  3. It's in windup, almost no distance traveled
  4. It's in windup, almost no distance traveled
  5. It's in windup, almost no distance traveled
  6. I'm dead

Draggability - in Chiv it was usually slow weapons which you could drag (delay) and fast ones you couldn't. In Mordhau, onehanders and accelerations are so absurdly fast you have no time to see and decide if it's the best time to parry, you have to parry as soon as you see an attack coming. Then you get dragged with mace or arming sword or dagger. It feels like every small weapon is a Dane Axe.

Shields would probably need to be re-invented - in the current state, 1v1 matchmaking would probably end up being a shield competition, as mediocre player with shield will always beat a mediocre player without shield. Even if you balance them with armor, ie. 2h guy needs to land 2 hits, 1h+shield guy needs 4, it's still going to favor the shield user, as he doesn't have to deal with any of the hard stuff (which comes down to timing).

Knight 567 1922
  • 17 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

Emotes

• Make the squat last much longer. Currently it is how one conveys they are healing, but its duration requires you to perform it three times before you are fully healed.

EDIT: They did!

Knight 925 2541
  • 17 Sep '17
 Pred

@Pred said:
Game is too facehug-y - the morph/chamber/feint battles at a distance are super fun, but the way to win fights is spastic movement in 100% facehug mode. Whoever lands a first hit and gets close gains the initiative to combo feint attacks that are often barely visible in the other persons camera. Kick is pretty useless and slow

More regarding the above - maybe there should be 2 types of kick or a kick and some kind of a shoulder bash. One would be long, fast and would flinch people when started mid-combo, but not stun (a way to get people off of you, reset the initiative and defend against combo feints), and the other would be as it is now - stuns for a free hit, but very short and slow.

Knight 567 1922
  • 17 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

Clashing. Absolutely beautiful mechanic. Clashing several times in a row feels incredible and its mere existence encourages players to be aggressive as it can be used to deflect an attack while making it still possible to land the blow first and cause your opponent to flinch. It is so little yet adds so much.

Chambering. An excellent addition to the game for which I am very glad. I love the hesitation that comes with it because it feels like you are attacking when you should be defending, and it feels so satisfying for your attack to stop your opponent's and continue forward, as if it is just more important. Chambering swings requires complete mastery of the 240° system, making it truly feel like an advanced mechanic. Stabs are far too easy to chamber, making thrusting weapons worthless and the idea of parrying a stab pointless. Make them more demanding.

Kicking. As a mechanic it is great, but it needs some fine-tuning. It is very satisfying to punish someone with it. It feels less responsive than it should.

Dodging. Attacks feel too quick to reliably sidestep. Ducking under and jumping over an attack works splendidly and is satisfying to pull off. Lightly armoured players should be quicker and more slippery than they currently are. Overall this is a great addition to the game as it is purely in the hands of the player; it is not even a mechanic in its technical sense.

Alternate mode. Weapons with two sides feel very valuable as a result of this. The mordhau grip is fantastic. Weapons held closer to the head / half-swording feels underpowered. I see no reason to use it. Throwing a weapon works very well -- its trajectory is consistent with its weight and if an opponent headed toward you throws his weapon, it is telegraphed well enough for you to parry it. Great job!

Voice commands and yelling. I am in the minority, but I have greatly enjoyed how silent all battles have been. No spamming of voice lines, no constant yelling. On the flip side, the current dying screams are fantastic. If all of them are placeholder sounds, please replace them with very similar ones.

Knight 209 744
  • 17 Sep '17
 Anal Error

Directional hit with mouse... i played 7 hours and i still can't use right this... you should make option in menu to have also like in Chivalry... you have overhead strike with scroll and for alternate directional strikes you press "Alt"... plase change this, or make option in menu to have this.
In evey fight you must move the mouse like crazy the camera moving in all dirrection and is not good.

Check this
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/562141472075233446/048DD3D24A34516F776671BC004C5EB9FE1A6D9F/
but again, add this as option, we don't wanna to change, i have experience playing this kind of games and i still find actual control of swings not ok.

Knight 567 1922
  • 17 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

@ANALGRINDER said:
Directional hit with mouse... i played 7 hours and i still can't use right this... you should make option in menu to have also like in Chivalry... you have overhead strike with scroll and for alternate directional strikes you press "Alt"... plase change this, or make option in menu to have this.
In evey fight you must move the mouse like crazy the camera moving in all dirrection and is not good.

Check this
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/562141472075233446/048DD3D24A34516F776671BC004C5EB9FE1A6D9F/
but again, add this as option, we don't wanna to change, i have experience playing this kind of games and i still find actual control of swings not ok.

Bind "right strike" to LMB. Bind "right upper strike" to scroll down. Alt is already the alternate direction key.