Mordhau

Alpha Feedback and Suggestions Thread

Duke 5477 13081
  • 15 Sep '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Because we need to make throwing animations for it. That time was spent on archery animations.

Knight 5096 6837
  • 15 Sep '18
 Humble Staff

I didn't expect such a quick answer kek, thanks for it.

107 147
  • 15 Sep '18
 Toastimus

@Jax said:
The reason for no public custom emblems is that it sounds awesome on paper, but in game it means that you'd see dicks and swastikas everywhere - not to mention we already have a ton of customization, and adding more might not be the best thing for performance.

Yeah,forgot about that.Maybe they could add some kind of a report system like : '' Offensive Emblem'' and say there is the exact replica of the Hitler's swastika,or a dick,the devs would review the emblem and then decide is it offensive or not,if it is,their emblem gets returned to the default emblem,and maybe the person gets like a 1 month or 2 weeks cooldown before they can upload their own emblem once again.Something like that,but as the person already said it is only a kickstarter supporter exclusive option which is a bummer in my opinion,i mean i dont mind them rewarding the supporters or anything,i just feel like it should be a default feature,since chivalry was a huge bummer for me personally,or i mean look at For Honor,you can basically make your own with the shapes they provide you,maybe add that kind of a emblem creator for non supporters.
As for performance,I don't know about that,you may have a point there,but thats up to devs to decide if it will ruin the performance..

Sellsword 52 73
  • 15 Sep '18
 --Locke

Hey, I have a request for an addition to the Characters menu.
I'd like to have an easy way to share customized body/equipment parts across various characters.

For example I want an identically shaped and colored weapon or clothes to be used for several characters and not be forced to re-adjust it each single time from the base object with default settings.
Call it something like 'Shared Objects' where you can save customized body or equipment parts for reuse.

Think of it like the favorite tab in the The Sims creator interface where you place in reusable parts.

A second suggestion would be the ability to export/import the data of a specific character to easily share with friends.

Knight 3135 7293
  • 15 Sep '18
 Punzybobo

There is a "Clone a mercenary" option and you can already share character data with friends by accessing the Mordhau.ini

51 40
  • 15 Sep '18
 PhillyCheesesteak

@Humble Staff said:

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
Make short spear throwable and/or add javelins.

That's something i wonder why isn't in the game yet. I mean archery is, why not spesr throwing.

Pretty sure they do plan on the short spear being throwable. If you select it in gear, it is labelled as having an alt with "throwable" in parentheses.

Knight 5096 6837
  • 15 Sep '18
 Humble Staff

Yea i knew it was planed i just wondered why it wasnt in game yet, i just thought a place holder animation would't hurt so bad in the meantime.

Sellsword 52 73
  • 15 Sep '18
 --Locke

@Punzybobo said:
There is a "Clone a mercenary" option and you can already share character data with friends by accessing the Mordhau.ini

That's not what is called an easy way to share equipment. If you have an almost perfect character and want to have transfered only 2 parts from another one cloning isn't the solution. The same applies even more when you want to merge stuff from three or more characters into a new warrior.

... by accessing the Mordhau.ini

That's another issue that needs to be addressed and the whole point of the suggestion: have an actual user friendly method to do this.

Duke 5477 13081
  • 15 Sep '18
 Jax — Community Manager

Locke, there's only a handful of armor slots - you can easily recreate a character's armor in about a minute. Adding something like that wouldn't be worth the time, and merging three characters together just sounds confusing to be honest.

There IS a tool someone made that lets you export loadouts, but I think the newest update broke it. I'll ask around.

52 35
  • 16 Sep '18
 j-p

@Jax said:
Nice feedback! A few points to clarify our thoughts on bows -

We've come to the conclusion that high damage and flinch on archery would negatively affect the melee.
Having high damage on bows would mean that taking a stray arrow would be a death sentence in a melee fight - going from 100 to something like 40 HP before even getting to the fight would be super annoying. Secondly, we don't want flinch on projectiles - our philosophy is that ranged weapons are meant to provide support to melee players in the form of damage, not to interrupt melee fights. By having flinch, an archer could not only make you have a HP disadvantage but also stop you from attacking your enemy.

edit: The Huntsman perk is also a major way we can balance archery vs melee - by keeping damage down on melee it's more of a support role, but you can have fun duels across the map with Hunstman and usually get one shot kills with longbow/crossbow.

My point wasn't to increase dps, it was to decrease the fire rates and maybe slow down archers. Right now with the fast fire rate and mobility of recurve I see no reason not to spam arrows close range where you don't need to fully draw. I don't know about you but I'd rather be able to deal with an archer and maybe sometimes take a bit more damage than have a high fire rate archer spamming at me 24/7. A slow fire rate I can more realistically dodge or parry if I pay attention. I also know that I have a bit more time to maneuver when he misses. As an archer I'd have to think about my positioning and timing more which would increase the skill ceiling a lot. The need for more cover would also somewhat limit archers and at the same time make them easier to take into account. Though this would require maps with a decent amount of cover, especially from the high points.

As far as archer duels go, if you have people playing the game seriously you'll only see archer duels if they are worth dueling instead of going full melee or picking easier targets. Most are just playing casually though so I'm sure it can be fun.

Conscript 2 2
  • 18 Sep '18
 Lang

It would be very nice if we were able to specify how we initially draw our weapons for each weapon on each mercenary. For example, I have an archer loadout with a bastard sword as my secondary weapon that I would like to always draw as a 2h.

Mercenary 1118 2039
  • 18 Sep '18
 TheKingInTheNorth

delete maul

Sellsword 52 73
  • 19 Sep '18
 --Locke

Make the crosshair more flexible and add checkboxes to decide for which mode it should be used. (always, for throwing weapons and/or bows)

While in Chivalry it has been kind of forgiving because of the fixed aiming point which still brought decent results without an aim support, here it makes a lot of difference and it is nearly impossible to land a hit.
Basically I can't take effective use of any bow when playing with a disabled cursor as of now.

Count 164 303
  • 20 Sep '18
 ColonelMustache

A lot of the peasant weapons list alt mode stats (seemingly from the maul?) despite not having alt modes.

On that note, I'd love to see alt modes for the peasant weapons that don't have them.

Once the spear throw animation is added, Wooden and Rusty pitchfork could use that animation and be thrown.

The shovels could use the same throw animation, or be choked up on.

Sickle could be thrown using existing one-handed throw animations.

Rake and Hoe could be choked up on, or flipped around.

Scythe...uh...I guess you could choke up on it? Admittedly not a whole lot to do with this one.

Sledgehammer could be thrown using the maul animation.

Also, would it be out of the question to give peasants access to bear traps? They are meant for hunting rather than actual combat, so it would make sense.

Finally, add horse shit to the list of peasant weapons. Look in your heart - you know it to be the right thing to do.

Mercenary 1118 2039
  • 26 Sep '18
 TheKingInTheNorth

horseamrour.jpg

horse armour customisation wen

King 18 76
  • 29 Sep '18
 ClockTower

Why are archers unable to shoot from spawn? You have to go a ways before it will let you shoot anything. This really doesn't help on Camp where there's a tower over looking your spawn and you can't shoot back or do anything while the enemy team has a lot of space to invade and trap you.

Duke 5477 13081
  • 30 Sep '18
 Jax — Community Manager

@ClockTower said:
Why are archers unable to shoot from spawn? You have to go a ways before it will let you shoot anything. This really doesn't help on Camp where there's a tower over looking your spawn and you can't shoot back or do anything while the enemy team has a lot of space to invade and trap you.

it will be changed, small oversight on our end

Conscript 11 56
  • 20 Oct '18
 flashcoms497

Character Design
Looks like the armour options aren't set to be changed but I would like to suggest something that should be done at some point (maybe after release if it would take too much time). I've tried to making soldiers from the times that the games Armour ranges from (9th-15th Century I think) but it hasn't turned out as well as I think it could.
I understand the evolution of armour from these periods might seem quite easy to model but I can see a distinct lack of "Intermediate" armours i.e The period between when Chainmail was predominantly used and the period when Plate (or some form of it like Brigandine) was the go-to.
I think this is an area wherein the game is lacking in terms of armour options. It's a bigger shame because the intermediate armours look really cool and while there are elements of it in-game I've found that I can't recreate Knights from about 1150-1330.
There are elements of these armours in the game (e.g The Calf Guard Hosen, Great Helm) but not such that I can recreate - say, a French Knight from the 1200s.

Instead of listing each piece of armour that should be added in, I'm just going to post a picture of the armour that I tried to recreate and highlight some pieces which I think are quite important to add into the game.

I didn't try to recreate the armour down to the exact detail but I did want to make sure I was using something which was accurate to the period.

5c1f00373e685f962c5e715c642da97f--sca-armor-medieval-armor.jpg
There's really not much that I can comment on with this, I can essentially recreate the Frankish Knight of the 3rd Crusade. BUT I would like to suggest that the Chainmail or Chainmail Tabard be changed to allow for the skirt to have either a fabric aventail (Maybe called Gambeson Longskirt) or a long chainmail skirt.
Although of pretty big important here is the Gambeson on the Legs - This is clearly at a time when the Chainmail Chausses are not implemented so perhaps an option for Gambeson Chausses could be added to better reflect this period.

bec21771da1541dcaae6d17aa9a8b122--knights-hospitaller-knights-templar.jpg
Just another semi-contemporary example of the sort of armour I'd like to see implemented. Note that cloth/gambeson and chainmail is BIG in this era from about 1066-1200 - At least insofar as you can see BOTH on the person of the knight.

adaf96833754c040e0dd3d56c2855e31--english-knights-drawing-reference.jpg
Here's where it becomes insanely hard to do the Knights justice. You may say - USE THE TABARD, but as you can find out, looking at the Tabard it has, included as part of it a PLATE cuirass something which is not going to be seen for another 200 years.
It may sound silly, but it would be the equivalent of comparing a Spanish Tercio of the 1600s to a Napoleonic Soldier of the 1800s - YES they are similar but a Flintlock is disgustingly advanced compared to a Matchlock and to even conceive of a Tercio using a Napoleonic Flintlock make that boi pretty OP.
So if I might be so full-on - PLEASE implement the option to cover yourself HEAD-TO-TOE in chainmail like this guy. The Chainmail tabard is good, but I cannot make the skirt longer nor can I add a Surcoat (that EXACT cloth cover that this guy is wearing). So could we add some chest armour which has this look?.
The current "Chainmail Tabard" is good, but the cloth on it cannot be changed to something historically accurate like the Surcoat and I would like that option.
ALSO look at those feet, all covered in chainmail, could we get chainmail feet pl0x.

2189f4ccc61c397a7d0b86c2ae352bd5--medieval-knight-medieval-armor.jpg

10-medieval-english-knights-facts_7.jpg

Now we are getting into the era where Plate really starts to feature. Look at the second Picture for a moment - Notice those plate shin-guards - They're called Demi-Canons, they don't go all the way around the calf and they cover a leg which is COMPLETELY covered in Chainmail. Notice again the Surcoat is quite long. I think some of the skirt options for the other armour sets could be used for the surcoat but again, we need the option to use have a surcoat covering CHAINMAIL only.
Also, in the first picture I think there's an opportunity to add some new pauldrons. I'm not quite sure what they are - maybe they're an early form of plate pauldron but surely this could be implemented to add some more style to the game?

47c70b84521519938d119485f4c0b5bb--english-knights-medieval-costume.jpg

5e38e5598dc33e3d366f7b1e51df3352.jpg

And here we have that Knight which I cannot remake no matter how hard I try. I think this is a result of the cumulative error of not adding the previous suggestions plus a little extra.
What do we have here that's not in-game? Chainmail Surcoat, Demi-Cannons with Chainmail.
But not only that - there's more. Look at the Knight's arms - we're beginning to get some plate on the arms in a similar form to the Knight in Picture 2 which IS a knight I can recreate semi-reliably.
But in short this knight in Picture 1 is still wearing Chainmail visibly, he still has a surcoat, he still has Demi-Canons (with sabatons now) AND NOW he has plate on this arms with the fanned plate on the elbows being round and this early plate does not enclose his arms entirely, for that Chainmail is still the main mode of protection.

I may have missed something in this post but I'll come back to it later if I do. Otherwise I'd just like to say that I'm not out to grill the guy who made the armour for Mordhau - he's been very creative with making each piece versatile so it could plausibly sit in multiple eras, but there are some pieces which simply can't double up for things like the Surcoat and a full chainmail armour set for 1100-1200. Nor can you really use the current set-up to mimic the armour of the Frankish Knights of the early crusades because there's not enough skirt options for the current Chainmail armours.
But I would like to see those few pieces of armour implemented into the game somehow at some point.

Knight 2239 4025
  • 20 Oct '18
 Runagate

Just give us more actually historical armour

Knight 3135 7293
  • 20 Oct '18
 Punzybobo

I will sound crazy (To the dev team) for wanting this, but I really need articulated pauldrons in this game.