Mordhau

First Impressions Thread

Knight 5096 6835
  • 14 Sep '17
 Humble Staff

Oh i forgot to mention that i love the detail of bots being named after historical figures like Grute Pier or treatise's masters like Hans Talhoffer and Johannes Liechtenauer.

Duke 754 1200
  • 14 Sep '17
 Stumpy

Where is my royal helmet and royal gloves and gold longsword and gold grills?

Baron 578 965
  • 14 Sep '17
 lash

@Stumpy said:
Where is my royal helmet and royal gloves and gold longsword and gold grills?

Someone somwhere said that this will apply to Beta, but as far as I know, no confirmation from the devs.

Baroness 485 1384
  • 14 Sep '17
 arr0wmanc3r

God I'm getting absolutely trashed in this game. There's so much I suck at and even more I have no idea how to do.

I love it.

Baron 578 965
  • 14 Sep '17
 lash

@arr0wmanc3r said:
God I'm getting absolutely trashed in this game. There's so much I suck at and even more I have no idea how to do.

I love it.

This is it, though.. isn't it?

You will get fucked by more experienced people.. (at least i do all the time).. but You know that there is something that you could do better, you know what you could do to counter your fail....

This is huge, TBH.. from i gathered, people do not feel "cheated" by their deaths "like in chiv" and will actually want to gid gud ;)

Knight 5096 6835
  • 14 Sep '17
 Humble Staff

It can be seen as the opposite though, i actually feel worse at getting rekt in this game because i know it's entirely my fault and not some inconsistent or shity mechanic/game design.

Mercenary 2185 3899
  • 14 Sep '17
 EruTheTeapot

@lash said:

@arr0wmanc3r said:

I love it.

This is it, though.. isn't it?

You will get fucked by more experienced people.. (at least i do all the time).. but You know that there is something that you could do better, you know what you could do to counter your fail....

This is huge, TBH.. from i gathered, people do not feel "cheated" by their deaths "like in chiv" and will actually want to gid gud ;)

Ikr, I used to die and curse the guy for 90% exploit combat in Chiv but in Mordhau so far I blame myself for panic parrying, badly aimed parries etc. though long as drags and ballerinas still kinda exist which is shame on ballerina part

Duke 282 401
  • 14 Sep '17
 SeaFerret

Best game ever made, thanks.

Duke 754 1200
  • 15 Sep '17
 Stumpy

Level design

• playable area's looks good, outside borders looks like shit. Over palisades at grad its just plain grass and daft to look at. Same with the uh mini castle map, just plain grass fields with a handful of trees in the horizon.
  • please make some darker themed maps, caves? Inside a castle with only fires and slight ambient light from color stained windows.
    *a tip would be a map of a downtown city which has a marketplace, tavern, shady back alleys etc.
  • all the maps are very small, but they are good enough for 5v5 atm.

Armours and Weapons

• Armour customization rocks! Though there are improvements needed to be made. Hard to keep track of where the items are in the list since its not listed by weight type. So it seems very random. Some items can only be worn with a particular item. Which is confusing when you are looking for an item but it's not on the list because you're not wearing the item which is required for it to actually show up.
  • color gradient for metal tint is bad, you can't see properly the shades because everything is just white. So make it easier to see which tint we can choose from.
  • metal shine/corrosion should be applicable on induvidual items rather than whole armor. Maybe add option to make gear look worn, slashes scratches and stab holes in armor?
  • add my royal helmet so i can use it. I thought you guys said the helmet was finished months ago, same with the gloves and longsword but i havent seen any of them yet so im not sure why you're stalling when i've paid for these kickstarter exclusives, i sure hope you intend to release them in alpha, if it's beta or release then im going to get batshit crazy.

combat

• i like how the combat is.
  • problems with kicks and overheads and cant morph a swing to overhead i believe?
  • having tracer lines on 10 is still too little i believe, having 5s atleast as a max option would be nice to have.

ui

• if a friend is on a server, add a arrow above his head.
  • we have the option for tracer lines, why not add option to show character hitbox, shield hitbox, parry box etc..

Tl:dr i give this game a perfect score of 5/7
Very good launch, no lag no technical problems, no rages because random bullshit happening. I see the extra delays was worth it when the product is in such pristine condition. Good job Triternion.

Mercenary 1844 6966
  • 15 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

@Stumpy said:

• problems with kicks and overheads and cant morph a swing to overhead i believe?

There's no difference between "swing" and "overhead" other than the angle. For example, an uppercut and an overhead are the same type of attack, as is a low stab and a high stab.

Duke 754 1200
  • 15 Sep '17
 Stumpy

Oh, i thought it was like in chiv lol

1909 961

@Lincs said:

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:
Another problem i'm realizing is how big the block hit boxes are. It took me a second to really notice, but i realized its actually easier for me to block an attack in Mordhau than it is in Chivalry. In Chivalry i actually have to focus pretty hard on where the attack is coming from, but in Mordhau i'm finding i'm rarely thinking about it it all, and i'm only considering the timing.

This also leads to another big issue, it feels like reaching around blocks is all but completely gone in Mordhau. Which is surprising because i expected the exact opposite. You can hit the legs, but many times it doesn't work unless the person is looking really high up.

This realization is actually pretty disappointing for me.

There's a lot of good things Mordhau has going for it, most things are really good, but the few problems i'm feeling in the combat system, feel like really big problems. Like, 'i'd rather be doing something else than playing this' problems.

In my experience, both the parry window and hit box are tighter in Mordhau. There also aren't any butt parries or other things of dubious balance. You mentioned earlier that you hadn't figured out how to combo precisely as of yet - you sure that isn't affecting your judgement on your ability to reach around blocks?

It's pretty easy to fake a stab at the feet and reposition it to the chest, or pivot your body left and swing from bottom right to throw your enemy off. Don't just aim for the kneecaps every time you want to confuse them.

Hmm, i'll log back on and experiment some more, it could be that i just don't know what i'm doing.

One thing i will say though, multiple times i have been right up on a person where my body literally can't move any closer, crouched, and stabbing directly at their feet, their toes even. And yet I've had people consistently block the attack whilst standing up, as if they aren't even really trying. That doesn't make any physical sense, nor does it seem balanced in the slightest. If i can position myself so well, that i can get right on them, crouched and looking all the way down, without being hurt myself. I should be rewarded for doing so. They shouldn't be able to negate all of that work, by simply looking down slightly. They should have to at least crouch to block that attack.

i honestly thought the block boxes would be much better than this. I notice this problem on my end too, many times i block attacks without even really trying. I definitely notice in chivalry, i have to strain harder to read where the attack is coming from, than i do in Mordhau.

Duke 986 1381
  • 16 Sep '17
 PadanFain

Toe stab meta when

Countess 1227 2900
  • 16 Sep '17
 Whisper

1 v X's are very unsatisfying, and being flanked is an almost gaurenteed death sentance

Count 4 1
  • 16 Sep '17
 Phobos

First impressions. i am impressed, clean combat system, good hit boxes game feels solid all around.
i have seen alot of negative comments about kicks and shields ect but i think they are fine shields are easy enough to get around. as it stands now i think most people havent played the game long enough yet to truly grasp the depth of the combat system.

well done lads 10/10

27 28
  • 18 Sep '17
 12thManArmy

Feint in this game = Baallarrinna spin'n in chiv

27 28
  • 18 Sep '17
 12thManArmy

other than that game kicks ass!!

Knight 3147 4341
  • 18 Sep '17
 MONKEYTOES