Mordhau

First Impressions Thread

Knight 2227 3998
  • 13 Sep '17
 Runagate

Very very well optimized for an alpha. Looks like Marox' work on a shitty PC paid off. And the game just feels good in general. The combat's amazeballs smooth and great and the customization looks fucking amazing. The viewmodel should be more adjustable though. Also, more matrixing for light armour please! And speed and just agility in general.

Knight 933 941
  • 13 Sep '17
 afiNity

Another thing I (and apparently some other too) witnessed, is that the movement overall feels pretty slow. I have the feeling that light builds dont really have a big advantage in terms of speed to justify the lack of armor. You still have to rely mostly on blocks and can't outplay people only with footwork (what I had hoped for). I wouldn't have a problem if light armored people were even weaker if at the same time they'd receive a significant speed boost.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 13 Sep '17
 Carlo_Mano

My pc is getting old and the game runs smooth ans still looks good. Very good optimisation, better than many so called aaa games.

A bit hard at first to un-learn some chiv habits but the 270° is pretty cool.

HOWEVER, seeing how complex the game mechanics can be and in the end having a feint-spammer topping the score is a bit annoying...

Knight 83 115
  • 13 Sep '17
 Mufflin

I think it's amazing.

Movement speed feels slow which feels right for the full platers but I think peasants wearing cloth should be able to actually sprint. They get one hit killed by anyone so let them run around the map super fast as a reward for choosing to play a much harder game.

Feints have no real downside and you can't really read them because they happen so late and the latency means you don't get the update until it's too late to parry so the feinters just feint all the time and win because you can't stop them.

I like that hitting someone who isn't wearing a helmet can one hit kill them, it makes accuracy really important.

Performance is outstanding even on max settings in a crowd.

Conscript 294 345
  • 13 Sep '17
 Qwampa

First impression is great.
FPS seems stable on lower graphics. will see if it drops on future bigger maps.
There is no input delay unlike many other game I played recently.
Only bigger problem I found so far was that the attack swing invert button is not working as expected. But there is already a dedicated thread for that.
Great job devs, and thanks for the efforts.

Baron 578 965
  • 13 Sep '17
 lash

I like the fact that when you spectate someone, you are watching with the camera he is using.

1909 961

Out of all the time i spent playing i have to say this. Everything is great, except for one big glaring problem. And that's the lack of control i feel over my attacks. My attack patterns, simply do not feel consistent, even when i try really-REALLY hard to move my mouse in the exact same angle, i still rarely get the same angle of attack i was trying to go for.

This is especially a problem for me, because if i don't know the exact attack i'm doing, then i can't effectively coordinate that attack with my footwork, as such nearly all my footwork planning goes out the window. And i'm basically just left hopping around, smashing the attack button and swinging in random directions (which is still very effective, but still very boring because i know i'm not really getting any better).

The mapping of attacks to specific buttons, does not this problem, at best it just feels like a bandaid. As even when i set the right attack pattern to my left mouse button, i will still sometimes swing from the left, even when i try really hard not to. It just never feels natural, even when i try to change the settings to make it feel such.

I honestly don't see much of a point in playing until this is fixed, this is not to say the game is bad, it's amazing, pretty much everything is amazing. But this one thing, is very important. This should be an easy fix, at best simply add a box i can check called 'chiv' attack mode that replicates chivalry's attack patterns. Until then though, i'm probably not going to be playing much, no offense, there's just not really a point to doing so if i can't effectively control which attack i'm doing. Attacking should feel natural, i should know at all times, exactly which attack i'm doing when i do it.

Knight 57 63
  • 13 Sep '17
 Edmund

@afiNity said:
Another thing I (and apparently some other too) witnessed, is that the movement overall feels pretty slow. I have the feeling that light builds dont really have a big advantage in terms of speed to justify the lack of armor. You still have to rely mostly on blocks and can't outplay people only with footwork (what I had hoped for). I wouldn't have a problem if light armored people were even weaker if at the same time they'd receive a significant speed boost.

Yeah i feel the same, the movement is a bit to slow overall, while attack are fast, giving more speed to light armor would be a solution, but it's more a balance issue.

Everything is great, except for one big glaring problem. And that's the lack of control i feel over my attacks. My attack patterns, simply do not feel consistent, even when i try really-REALLY hard to move my mouse in the exact same angle, i still rarely get the same angle
of attack i was trying to go for.

When you use an attack like upper right strike and then combo into a stab, the stab will always be left stab and viceversa, thats what you don't understand i think.

Baron 2357 3387
  • 13 Sep '17
 Xekratos

Partial dismemeberment gives me a hard-on. The feedback of hitting someone has TONS of impact. And the ragdolls are the fucking best.

Mercenary 2184 3898
  • 13 Sep '17
 EruTheTeapot

I can safely say, I'm just looking at those little twitches hands and body make as last second struggle when I die

Knight 13 18
  • 13 Sep '17
 Invo

A few suggestions:

1. Increase walking and sprinting speed.

2. movement and animations could be a bit smoother and less clunky.

3. overhead attacks seem inconsistent. somehow, hard to describe.

Knight 5096 6834
  • 13 Sep '17
 Humble Staff

First and foremost: I suck ass, i'm having problems at picking up the fundamentals, can't reliably choose the angles from which i want to attack and im getting my anus teared almost like when i started playing chivalry.
I don't care that much since all of these problems will go away by just playing and i had a great a experience anyway, without lag thanks to a hosted server and without major fps drops. The only bug i can think off is sometimes when i wanted to change my loadout mid-match i just couldn't no matter how much i clicked at things. It solved itself tho after a few times of pressing escape back and forth.

Which weapons and armor combinations are you enjoying the most? Got any favorites yet?
Atm i'm having fun with medium and light armor for the most part, throwing is reaaaally fun, i like how the axe sometimes sticks and sometimes doesn't, how the mace bounces off and the weight and physics overall of throws, just lovely. The staff feels a bit too weak atm, its poor damage wouldn't be a problem if it didn't have short sword range but as you said weapon balance will be adressed later and i really appreciate having it there just from the start. Eveningstar is dope, goedendag skin or spiky club all the way.

How's the feel of the combat? Too fast? Too slow? Do people die too quickly?
Does it feel too hard to fight multiple opponents?

In my humble opinion combat is a bit too slow, it's engaging nonetheless and it's fine for my brain still in need to catch up with the directional attacks. People in armor gets killed way to fast with slashing damage, i know that is weapon balance but still leaving that here. Fighting multiple oponents is purely skill based so is fine imo.

What do you think of the mechanics? Are chambers or parries too difficult?
Parries don't need as much aiming as i expected so they are pretty forgiving.
Chambers are difficult yes but that is part of the mechanic itself.

Have you had any memorable/notable experiences? Were they positive or negative?
A few of my throws collided with my oponent's throws, fun stuff. Also another thing that i really like is when a dagger sticks out of your arm or hand and you can see it right in your camera and you can pick it up by pressing E. Another great detail related to this is throwables sticking out of your face impairing vision.

What do you think of the maps? How are the layouts and environment art? Any favorites?
Great tbh, Grad and Ruins my favorites so far.

Have you had any frustrating experiences?
If you could change one thing about the game, what would it be?

The only frustrating thing is almost constantly getting rekt but again that will change by straight playing the game.
If i could change something would be movement speed which feels way to slow atm, i need to change to light armor periodically because i can't stand being so slow to drag my arse around. Medium armor speed is too close to heavy armor speed too making it rather pointless.
The rest would be about weapon balance which is super important for me but that is something for the future so this is it for the moment.

Baron 2 9
  • 13 Sep '17
 Stalker

Combat is very good, having mostly a mount and blade background but also a moderate amount of chivalry. Mechanics are fluid and deep and i get the feeling that the fights will be very evolved and tactical soon.

I think the speed is just right, people who try to sprint around and attack wildly get punished by measured pace which i find immensly satisfying. The swordplay pace is very good especislly when you get chambers and clashes going at a steady pace.

All in all i am very impressed with the game at this early stage, especislly in a time where even triple A developers will do full released with considerably less polish than this.

1909 961

Another problem i'm realizing is how big the block hit boxes are. It took me a second to really notice, but i realized its actually easier for me to block an attack in Mordhau than it is in Chivalry. In Chivalry i actually have to focus pretty hard on where the attack is coming from, but in Mordhau i'm finding i'm rarely thinking about it it all, and i'm only considering the timing.

This also leads to another big issue, it feels like reaching around blocks is all but completely gone in Mordhau. Which is surprising because i expected the exact opposite. You can hit the legs, but many times it doesn't work unless the person is looking really high up.

This realization is actually pretty disappointing for me.

There's a lot of good things Mordhau has going for it, most things are really good, but the few problems i'm feeling in the combat system, feel like really big problems. Like, 'i'd rather be doing something else than playing this' problems.

Baron 1600 5073
  • 13 Sep '17
 Lincs

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:
Another problem i'm realizing is how big the block hit boxes are. It took me a second to really notice, but i realized its actually easier for me to block an attack in Mordhau than it is in Chivalry. In Chivalry i actually have to focus pretty hard on where the attack is coming from, but in Mordhau i'm finding i'm rarely thinking about it it all, and i'm only considering the timing.

This also leads to another big issue, it feels like reaching around blocks is all but completely gone in Mordhau. Which is surprising because i expected the exact opposite. You can hit the legs, but many times it doesn't work unless the person is looking really high up.

This realization is actually pretty disappointing for me.

There's a lot of good things Mordhau has going for it, most things are really good, but the few problems i'm feeling in the combat system, feel like really big problems. Like, 'i'd rather be doing something else than playing this' problems.

In my experience, both the parry window and hit box are tighter in Mordhau. There also aren't any butt parries or other things of dubious balance. You mentioned earlier that you hadn't figured out how to combo precisely as of yet - you sure that isn't affecting your judgement on your ability to reach around blocks?

It's pretty easy to fake a stab at the feet and reposition it to the chest, or pivot your body left and swing from bottom right to throw your enemy off. Don't just aim for the kneecaps every time you want to confuse them.

1083 6138
  • 13 Sep '17
 crushed — Art

This topic has been moved.

301 875
  • 14 Sep '17
 Naleaus

The first few hours I played, I managed to knock a knife thrown by Terippee out of the air with an attack, stam out shortly later, then kill him with a punch to the head. 10/10 game

Really though, I enjoy it so far. I won't comment on balance since it's so early, but I've not had any real issues. It runs amazingly well, looks great. Attacks feel like they have some real weight to them. Footwork feels good, matrixing is viable but not completely stupid looking. The mechanics work well though I'm trash at chambering anything but stabs. I have a server up from Simrai and it's run great all day.

The only thing I sort of wish is that the camera was just a bit farther back on the character. There are some minor bugs that have been posted and I'm sure more will come up as I play, but great job so far. Better than an alpha typically is.

301 875
  • 14 Sep '17
 Naleaus

Oh, I forgot to mention, but it's important enough to have it's own comment. I've not seen, or noticed at least, any types of desyncs with attack animations. This is especially amazing because Chivalry still has them very often almost 5 years after release. So great job!

Knight 554 1905
  • 14 Sep '17
 LuxCandidus

Which weapons and armor combinations are you enjoying the most? Got any favorites yet?t

• The armour, weapons, as well as the system of customising them is absolutely incredible. I will abstain from picking favourites until some balancing has been done, but as weapons I love them all.

How's the feel of the combat? Too fast? Too slow? Do people die too quickly?

• The combat can appear slow when two inexperienced players are fighting, but already I am seeing duels that are incredibly quick due to a variety of different mechanics being employed. It is strange contrasted with how slow everyone moves, so you may want to increase base movement speed. Players die much too quickly when they are inexperienced; again when they have reached a certain level fights can last for quite some time without feeling dragged out.

Does it feel too hard to fight multiple opponents?

• Not at all. It feels great.

What do you think of the mechanics? Are chambers or parries too difficult?

• I have been struggling to parry because I often do not look up or down enough to match the height of the attack. Maybe I am just too used to Chivalry's system. Chambering stabs is far too easy, but I do not think players have caught on to that yet. If chambering stabs is not made more difficult, I see it being mandatory in a couple of months. No one would ever parry a stab when he can chamber it with the same ease.

• Every time I join a server I see a few familiar faces and it feels great to recognise and play with people I have been interacting with on the forums. Clashing several times in a row felt amazing, and so did chambering and seeing sparks fly. Getting destroyed by a bot did not feel too nice, and I think it may affect a lot of people's confidence. It has also felt bad to struggle with the combat so much, but I think this will be alleviated in the future with the introduction of a tutorial where you can practise all the mechanics separately.

What do you think of the maps? How are the layouts and environment art? Any favorites?

• Beautiful maps, far too small for the current game modes and amount of players. You can really tell The Pit is the map that has been reinvented the most, and I am quite fond of its current incarnation.

• Getting embarrassing kill-death ratios has been eating away at me. It will probably not be an issue after the aforementioned tutorial split into parts and gear balancing. And maybe some animation correcting for a few weapons.

• I hate feints so much. Yes, yes, absolute core of Mordhau. It just feels unfair to have a long fight with someone in which you performed so well only to die because your opponent feinted. Before players have learned to chamber frequently, I think feints will be too cheap and unbeatable.
Mercenary 2184 3898
  • 14 Sep '17
 EruTheTeapot

Some Duderinos just baseballed my thrown dagger with a zweihander... Dagger spun in air for 1-2 and I caught it back from where I throw it!

10/10 would throw again.

1. Spawn locations or rather not spawning into 2 players fighting.
  2. With all the cool, hard but rewarding mechanics around, Its sad to see feint-morph spammers keep on top score but hey not much you can do about it

Yes, I'm getting rekt sometimes devz fiks pls.

Which weapons and armor combinations are you enjoying the most? Got any favorites yet?

I'm really enjoying the spears tbh and really looking for 1h Spear and throwing it!.