Mordhau

First Impressions Thread

Knight 334 777
  • 12 Sep '17
 AngelEyes

@Reapy said:

1. I want to thrust with the (I'm inverted Y) move my view down and left click. It feels frustrating the thrust is off in it's own place when all your swings are accessible by mouse movement. It would be nice to have the option to add the thrust in down there. Not sure on properties of thrusts and if there are different types of them is why it has its own key. At the least it would be nice to pick a thrust and assign it to that spot.

While I don't have any strong feedback yet, as a fellow Blader I can relate with this. I keep flicking downward to thrust :).

Also thought not straight vertical swing was a little strange, although we already have more variety than Warband as it is, I guess I just assumed it would be there.

All in all I'm having a great time so far. I feel though I need to play more to give any kind of productive feedback, as well as all the other testers until we find potentially questionable (Subjective or otherwise) meta.

Baron 56 84
  • 12 Sep '17
 Theblastback

Before I start, I feel as though I must mention how much of a potato my laptop is
My PC specs:
Win 8.1 x64
i5 4210U @ 2.4GHz
6GB ram
Integrated graphics (intel 4400)

For me, I've experienced at least 11 crashes in 20 minutes, 3 from the title screen, 2 main menu and the rest online
(I was expecting crashes, and I'm not complaining. That's what alpha testing is for after all)
I can't say I understand the 270 swinging, since I'll be moving my mouse left to right and my attack will go left to right.
Oh yeah, at best, I get about 23 frames per second at low in game settings (I haven't tried runescape mode).

I really need to get a better laptop..

EDIT: Just tried runescape mode. ~50fps

Mercenary 7 8
  • 12 Sep '17
 Dinomonsimon

I like how accurate the hitboxes are

Knight 30 22
  • 13 Sep '17
 TastierCornet3

its awesome. a masterpiece . its smooth and feels great it looks amazing. i cant wait to use bows and javelins

Count 671 1130
  • 13 Sep '17
 Zexis

Chambers are very satisfying. Mentally it's hard to force an attack when in chiv it'd just be a gamble, but when I do read an attack the chamber angle feels good.

Speaking of chiv, my memory of knight movement speed and drag times are really boning me in team fights when I think I can reach someone but I'm too fat and slow.

If you are in the middle of customization when a map changes, your changes won't be saved. Minor nuisance. It also took me some time to discover that "Quit" while in a match exits the server, not the game. Maybe change the wording of that when in a server to "Leave" or something similar.

That said, ESC to menu in game is SOOO slick.

Do you combo off kicks? I've landed kicks but rarely can land an attack before the stun is over.

Game is very quiet. Voice lines and some ambient music will be good. Menu music is wonderful.

Performance is spotty. FPS drops can be real jarring in fights. That's partly my fault for streaming. Offline, generally good.

Grad is beautiful until you look over the walls, but maybe that's my graphic settings (turned down to medium for performance).

Overall impression is very positive. I hope we soon get more of the maps we've already seen and features like demo mode, which will be very useful for creating video content.

Count 671 1130
  • 13 Sep '17
 Zexis

Also want to add that ragdoll knockback is A+, I've laughed multiple times after plowing someone with the eveningstar.

Baron 578 966
  • 13 Sep '17
 lash

Kicking ragdolls best fun

Baron 1607 5104
  • 13 Sep '17
 Lincs

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good shit

Baron 1607 5104
  • 13 Sep '17
 Lincs

On a more serious note, I love a lot of the minor details, like your character's fingers twitching when you die. For an alpha the game has an absolutely mindblowing attention to detail and I can tell it's one of those things you can't get tired of.

Knight 122 237
  • 13 Sep '17
 Papalopi

I kinda think footsteps should be made a little louder, right now it just feels like people come out of nowhere a lot of the time.
Also please add autobalancing, really frustrating to get into 4v7 LTS matches.

Baron 22 57
  • 13 Sep '17
 champton

When I first started playing, things felt uncomfortable and slow, but the more I played everything felt amazing. I don't think it's too slow, because when utilizing all mechanics it is very fast paced. All the mechanics feel right and work together. Footwork is very important which is nice. As expected, it's noticeable that some weapons aren't quite as balanced imo.

Baron 19 31
  • 13 Sep '17
 FishBazooka

First impression playing offline:

OUTSTANDING. I'm blown away. Everything feels very fluid. The game is very well optimized. AI are fun and challenging to practice against.

Playing online:

I'm getting very bad ping fluctuation. My ping is usually very low in other games. Before I join a game I choose the lowest (around 20 or 30). When I join, it fluctuates up to 300 rapidly. There's delay on hitting my enemies.

Port forwarding could fix this?

Mercenary 2188 3902
  • 13 Sep '17
 EruTheTeapot

I just love the ragdolls tbh

Eveningstar kill from below and Boom Oblivion Ragdolls !!1!1

Knight 399 869
  • 13 Sep '17
 Alphonse

Spending about an hour trying to get a server going with some friends was slightly frustrating, because most SAM (i.e., South America) players were probably expecting an official server running 24/7, and finding a lot of difficulties along the way wasn't really the best first impression, but hey, we still had a lot of fun for a couple of hours.

As a total noob, the combat felt kinda weird. I feel like my opponents always have further reach than I do with similar weapons to mine, which always catches me by surprise. I don't know if it's just my perception / FoV distortion though. It's like sprinting affects your reach in different ways, depending on either how long or exactly at what point of your attack phase you sprint, so that might be the reason why I mistime it and fall too short.

Some people would chamber my attack and stop both my attack and my forward momentum, which was kinda unexpected. Say you're facing your attacker, and he's a little to your right. You rotate a little to your left (trying to mask your attack) and throw a left to right swing with a little downward angle. My opponent would throw a stab or something aiming at my windup and somehow chamber? that swing (idk if it's a chamber though).

I saw some weird spins and drags that were pretty hard to read or even defend, mostly with polearms and longswords. Spectating laggier players (with 80-90 ms) is also a weird experience. It kinda confirmed the way you see them jump around and skip frames when you're fighting vs them from your own perspective.

At this moment, the throwables kinda ruin team fights imho. It's probably one of the first things that should be balanced. Wearing a medium plate helmet, I'd not expect to lose literally 50% of my HP when someone headshots me with a cleaver or some dagger. It's a lot of fun right now, but it will be probably quite frustrating after spending more hours on the game.

Heavy armor and being very aggressive seems to be the most effective tactic at this moment, so it ruins a little of the fun of trying lighter "classes". Also, Idk if it's due to the FoV or the dimensions on the models, but Longsword, Bastard sword and Greatsword all look pretty much identical in the 2handed grip.

All in all, I'll just have to relearn melee controls. Any tiny motion during windup and my attack ends up being completely different to what I expected, but I haven't played an FPS in a very long time (esp. not Chivalry). I imported a lot of bad habits from that game that won't transfer to valuable skills in this game, so I'll just have to get some practice going.

Now, that was the 'bad', and only from my first impressions. The game runs pretty damn smoothly at mid graphic settings, and my PC is old as fuck (Phenom X4 955BE, 4 GB RAM, GPU 7850 2gb). Even my OS (Win7) and drivers are slightly outdated, so I was expecting a bunch of crashes. But nope. I think it froze twice when I altabbed during a loading (which was stupid of me). Map loading times are very very short which is great.

The depth of the Armory customization totally blew me away. I was not expecting that many options for armor and stuff.

Congrats to Triterniun for putting out such a polished alpha build.

Knight 2608 6912
  • 13 Sep '17
 Rattsknecht

I have a good first impression and want to play more (work tho D:)

One particular thing I noticed, while I played on an NA server and had ~130 ping, it all looked smooth and I didn't experience any discomfort.

Maybe I just dont see it?

Knight 23 24
  • 13 Sep '17
 StoopKid

The ragdolls when you squish someone with a big weapon are great. The big heavy weapons really feel heavy when you're hitting someone

Duke 986 1381
  • 13 Sep '17
 PadanFain

I played 10 hrs straight I love it no serious issues just a few ui things that have been mentioned already. Combat feels amazing the clashes and chambers feel great i love the customization. Duel mode will be nice to have.

Count 4 11
  • 13 Sep '17
 Oblivion Walker

Which weapons and armor combinations are you enjoying the most? Got any favorites yet?
I like the spear and medium armor, but I use the Zwei because it feels as if it has the same reach as the spear. Shield and one-hand weapon + Zwei (Would prefer spear) would be my favored set-up.

How's the feel of the combat? Too fast? Too slow? Do people die too quickly?
I've played about 8 hours (it's addicting). Bladed weapon damage seems overtuned vs heavy armor. I think 1-2 additional hits (location dependent) for such weapons is needed. Most players who I played with and against tended to use the Zwei/Halberd. Blunt weapons were a rarity, both 1 and 2 handed variants. Losing 50% health from a stab to the head by an arming sword while wearing heavy armor is a bit much (I realize it's piercing damage, but it does just as much as a weapon dedicated to piercing armor [polearm weapons]).

Does it feel too hard to fight multiple opponents?
No. Either they succeed or fail based on the overall skill level of all combatants.

What do you think of the mechanics? Are chambers or parries too difficult?
Better than Chiv, hehehe

Have you had any memorable/notable experiences? Were they positive or negative?
(Positive & Negative) When teams are stacked and clean house. Not that the players intentionally stacked, but it did randomly happen from time to time. (Positive) One event I found notable was when I and an opposing player simultaneously threw our weapons at each other. They collided!

What do you think of the maps? How are the layouts and environment art? Any favorites?
Bland. I paid less attention to the scenery and more towards the layout. I don't remember the name, but I thoroughly enjoyed the map that allowed travel up and down spiral stairs in the bastions(?). Allowed for tactical maneuvering.

Have you had any frustrating experiences?
(With hit tracers on) What I perceived as the Zwei/Halberd/Poleaxe having the range of a spear or greater (Someone with the Zwei sprint-overheaded in heavy armor 2 1/2-3 spear lengths to hit me. Lag, perhaps?). I used the spear for about 3 hours, but switched over to the Zwei. Battle axe felt too short. I compared it to the bastard sword (which I used one-handed for an hour) and would consistently hit less at the same distances. Maybe it's intended, but I love me some axes. Mileage may vary, but I found the spear/battle axe to be disappointing. Having my weapon clip through enemies/clipped through me by enemies. Happened at a rarity to not spoil gameplay, but enough for me to take notice.

If you could change one thing about the game, what would it be?
Embed a feedback report into the main menu. It would allow players to provide suggestions/criticism immediately after playing.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but the Evening Star or whatever it's called is baller. 2-hit KO. Not many used it, but it's worth a mention.

Duke 501 1198
7 8
  • 13 Sep '17
 Jolf

I was surprised about the good condition of the alpha. I haven't had any crashes while I was playing or customizing.

It feld a bit slow and I still do really have to feel and learn more about the different weapons, their speed and ranges.

But man, I had a lot of Fun. I was on the Galatea Server and faced off with a retarded lobster and a Sir Banano. I got my ass kicked and later I kicked asses =))

Good job to the whole team around Mordhau, I got way more than I expected. I played till 1 am and If I would'nt go to work I bet that I would play the whole night =).

Regarding the Server, there weren't any noticable lags or bugs for me atm. As I already mentioned, for me it works fluently without any trouble yet.

See you guys on the battlefield!

Cheers