Mordhau

First Impressions Thread

Knight 3147 4341
  • 12 Sep '17
 MONKEYTOES

I've never had sex, but Mordhau is probably what sex feels like.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 12 Sep '17
 Frise

Turncap is insanely low, and there is a bit of delay between inputting an attack and the animation playing, which kind of makes it hard to time chambers.

Knight 116 243
  • 12 Sep '17
 Radfox

Few things I've noticed so far:

• Doing overheads feels pretty wonky, but the stabs and and side strikes feel good
  • Armor and weapon customization is really nice, face and body customization isn't
  • Kicks feel nearly useless with how slow they are and how close you must be
  • TTK feels a bit too fast, but that's probably just a balancing thing

All in all though, I'm pretty impressed. I can already see myself pouring hundreds of hours into this game like I did with Chivalry.

Militia 44 49
  • 12 Sep '17
 Sareth

Had absolutely no technical problems whatsoever.
Took a while to figure out how to give my swings the proper direction. Still a bit hard to do, mid-fight, but I'll learn.
Great job, guys!

Which weapons and armor combinations are you enjoying the most? Got any favorites yet?

I like the longsword, myself. Can't handle spears at all. :P
Zweihänder seem extremely popular, which is why I'm avoiding them.

How's the feel of the combat? Too fast? Too slow? Do people die too quickly?

Too slow, in my opinion. Could be a lot faster.

Does it feel too hard to fight multiple opponents?

Fight multiple enemies? XD
They all stab at you from three, four sides, what are you going to do?
Haven't managed to not get slaughtered, yet.

What do you think of the mechanics? Are chambers or parries too difficult?

Had some beautiful ones, but all by accident. Frankly, it'll take some time before I can consciously go for them.

Have you had any memorable/notable experiences? Were they positive or negative?

When I discovered you can throw arming swords ... did not expect that. So now I carry a longsword and two arming swords, where I only use the arming swords as ammunition.

What do you think of the maps? How are the layouts and environment art? Any favorites?

They're beautiful. Haven't played long enough to have a favourite, yet, but ...

Have you had any frustrating experiences?

Oh, not many, but I had a few...
Like when I thought I'd try the dagger only to find out that they are so darn slow they're useless. They aren't even that good for throwing because I can just throw swords, instead, which do more damage.

Or when you miss a swing and then have to watch that zweihänder move very slowly up while you're unable to do anything but stand there like an idiot waiting for it to come back down.

But overall, I like this game very much.

If you could change one thing about the game, what would it be?

The speed. I'd make everything faster.

Mercenary 1845 6968
  • 12 Sep '17
 ThunderDuck

Attack morphing seems really powerful. Anyone else play around with them?

214 412
  • 12 Sep '17
 Astonop

I'll give a quick first impression list from a few hours of gameplay as a complete rookie to melee games:

• Performance will be a bit wonky for those will low end graphics cards. If you're using a graphics card like mine which is many years old but can still run a few good looking modern games at reasonably high FPS (Warframe, Titanfall 2, Insurgency) then I'm afraid this isn't gonna be one of them. Lowest graphics options, resolution at 1600x900 and downscale at 65 and online play will still only really reach 45 fps max. Obvious fix is buy a new graphics card, but it's a bummer when so many other games will run fine.

• Combat feels very fluid. When you get the timing down, morphing swings into stabs, changing weapon stance and changing swing direction all seem to become second nature. You quickly forget that you're trying to do these things and instead you just ARE doing them. Very commendable.

• Servers are obviously a bit of a mosh. Dislike how there aren't servers only hosting one gamemode but that's quality of life - irrelevant right now. Everyone seems to be very experienced at the game already which is a little disheartening when you realise you have 2 kills and 30 odd deaths but hey, it happens.

• Weapons feel extremely varied and satisfying. Feedback from weapons is tangible and allows you to really get into a fight when you're fighting. No one weapon seems to stand out so far as a supreme choice, although the zweihander is extremely popular.

• The very few fair fights I had felt extremely well paced. They did not last too long, they were exciting and by the end I felt mentally worked as I read incoming attacks and adjusted appropriately. The speed of the fights are about right, though fist fights are far too sluggish and somewhat lack feedback. Group fight and fighting multiple people may as well be impossible though if you aren't all walking in a circle waiting for a quick stab.

• Some silly yet memorable things have happened, obviously boasting a wonderful community. We crouched in a circle and hugged using the Come At Me out which I had a good laugh at.

• Most frustrations come from small bugs that are to be expected of the alpha. Some UI elements simply stop working, scoreboards blur, character creation locks up every now and then and my least favourite thing is that the first taunt of every life freezes your character in place until you've chosen it, and even then leaves the menu frozen in the top right corner and won't go away.

That's about it for now. Can't comment on graphics as obviously it looks like a wobbling pile of clay when I'm on a server but I guess it works. All these things aside, it's extremely enjoyable even if I spend longer as a rolling head than a glorious champion.

Update: I have resolved the fps issue for the most part - I was not aware that shadows could be completely disabled instead of just set to low and it seems they were the main culprit as fps is now at a stable 60 when playing online for the most part. For anyone else with framerate issues, I recommend disabling shadows, setting your resolution to one step down from your usual and lowering downscale to around 75 or 70.

Knight 63 88
  • 12 Sep '17
 greyfox

First impression:

• game runs smoother and feels more polished than dozens of games that were released as "final" games in the past
  • extremely solid base to expand with more content (especially objective game modes)
  • we need a duel mode to have time to actually test and try the fighting mechanics - deathmatch, skirmish is too chaotic to do that imho
  • blocking is too easy, no need to allign attacking/defending directions
  • I still think feint is a bad mechanic, as it was in chivalry
  • this game is fucking awesome and the holy grail of first person melee games
Militia 44 49
  • 12 Sep '17
 Sareth

Oh, and one more thing: I absolutely LOVE attack morphing.

Knight 614 1111
  • 12 Sep '17
 Uncy

@DoubleK said:
It's already a thousand times better than Chiv. I still suck but I love it. Anyone knows the command to show FPS? The ones I tried don't work

Go to steam settings, "in game" "show fps".

About the game.. Just wow, customization, fights feeling, and readable feints, epic!

Also the game is really optimized, steady 75fps on ultra/high with i5-7400, rx470 and 8gb ram.
Also playerbase isnt bad now, cause i managed to arrange some duels on ffa servers : ')

9 13
  • 12 Sep '17
 SumminCool

It's pretty good but I'm suffering with the controls. I would like to chamber a bit more but in order to do so I have to sort of get into this thinking where dragging my mouse the wrong way is right. It is ok to invert both the X and Y attack sides instead of just X?

Secondly, I've seen if I swing straight down, it won't respond by the closest match but swing horizontal, That's awkward as well.

Next is that the crosshair is in the way a bit, could we disable that as an option?

Lastly I feel I have to swing the mouse around too much in order to get a clear read in the direction I want to swing. Could we get a mouse dead-zone for the horizontal swing so we can adjust that as well? Sensitivity is ok for the time being I think.

Knight 934 941
  • 12 Sep '17
 afiNity

Something I forgot: This was discussed before a couple times but after actually playing the game I'm sure that directional swings based on the movement keys would be a very nice way to play the game. I really hope that you will add that at some point.

Knight 57 63
  • 12 Sep '17
 Edmund

Pretty bad first impression lol, controls are a nightmare with azerty keyboard, can't re-bind some controls, numbers doesn't work etc, also why do i need to get 0.02 sensitivity with a 1000dpi mouse ?
About the game, overall feels is ok, deplacement feels slow and a bit clumsy, some weird stuff like riposte with shield, can't say much about animations for now.

Well it's just a first impression, it means nothing.

Knight 66 72
  • 12 Sep '17
 DoubleK

@afiNity said:
Something I forgot: This was discussed before a couple times but after actually playing the game I'm sure that directional swings based on the movement keys would be a very nice way to play the game. I really hope that you will add that at some point.

So do I! It was in the Jedi Knight games and I liked it.

Count 92 260
  • 12 Sep '17
 Intellicide

@Uncy said:

@DoubleK said:
It's already a thousand times better than Chiv. I still suck but I love it. Anyone knows the command to show FPS? The ones I tried don't work

Go to steam settings, "in game" "show fps".

About the game.. Just wow, customization, fights feeling, and readable feints, epic!

Also the game is really optimized, steady 75fps on ultra/high with i5-7400, rx470 and 8gb ram.
Also playerbase isnt bad now, cause i managed to arrange some duels on ffa servers : ')

Or, if you don't want Steam to show FPS in every game, just open the developer console in Mordhau by pressing ` and type 'stat fps'.

Knight 40 40
  • 12 Sep '17
 Madcat

@DoubleK said:

@afiNity said:

So do I! It was in the Jedi Knight games and I liked it.

That's the way I played mount and blade and I felt like it put you at a serious disadvantage, especially in group fights. I was too used to playing that way to ever bother switching to mouse aiming, but it was like playing with a handicap. In some ways I don't think it's fair to trick players into thinking it's a good setup by even offering the option

Baron 578 965
  • 12 Sep '17
 lash

Game is very good imo.

At first, I felt like it's too slow. But it's only the walking speed that is slower.

Combat is still very fast and I noticed that the slower walking speed makes the game much more tactical. Without those vanguard charges and archers, LTS was very fun. )

I had problems with performance, but i overclocked my CPU and it runs much much better (from 3,8ghz to 4,1) not that much, but made a huge difference in game.

Knight 148 97
  • 12 Sep '17
 Lilboots

Years of waiting has paid off. This game greatly exceeded expectations and im extremely happy. Thank you sir devs for creating more than I hope for 😘😘

96 128
  • 12 Sep '17
 Reapy

Just got a few minutes but really liked it! Performance was pretty good, some initial loading pauses when going to a new area of the map but didn't happen again after the first time. Kept at about 70 frames with the default settings (I think all ultra, no AA) in a 16 person server with most people visiblke, having a gtx 970 an i7-4790, 16 gb ram.

Two quick things I wanted.

1. I want to thrust with the (I'm inverted Y) move my view down and left click. It feels frustrating the thrust is off in it's own place when all your swings are accessible by mouse movement. It would be nice to have the option to add the thrust in down there. Not sure on properties of thrusts and if there are different types of them is why it has its own key. At the least it would be nice to pick a thrust and assign it to that spot.

2. If possible could you up the deadzone detection for mouse attacks? It seems to be about 3 or 4 pixels of movement it doesn't pick up. Coming from a warband background there are a few times that I felt I should have had a swing direction that didn't get picked up then did a bit of testing and it definitely has a deadzone in there before it is picked up. Would be nice to possibly adjust this deadzone and ideally have it down to 0.

Also for balance thoughts, again coming from warband, I was easily chambering side swings thrusts (when I remembered to use the mouse wheel!) in about 15 minutes of playing. This is not a hard technique and should not be thought of at all as something that will be a barrier to play. Assume chambers will be automatic with the current swing speed once chivalry backgrounded community gets some experience with it.

Granted this is from inexperience players doing telegraphed swings. So don't really know what happens when people get more movement and timing awkwardness in their toolkit.

Finally, congratulations on getting it here. This alpha feels really polished, right down to the control menus and everything we see. I know it was a long road for you to get here and I hope you guys are really enjoying seeing everyone playing the game at last.

1 1
  • 12 Sep '17
 DoGyAUT

Played 2h so far.

Game runs totally smooth locked at 144fps with 1440p (5820K + 1080Ti)

First I got tossed around like a toy ingame by the other players, but now I got the feeling and timing right.

The Longsword is my ideal weapon, had some 1v1 where we had each other like at least 10 parries each.

stabs, sideslashes, jumps, crouching, kicks - everything got used. Feels great so far (Kick is maybe a bit low range/low speed) but I could use it sometimes to kick opponents into corners or throwing them down into their death.

I would recommend to add a duel gameplay mode, where there are 1v1 and it gets switched each round.

Knight 37 35

A wonderful game, the quality I'm getting is off the charts; I'm surprised that everything was set to ultra and I still have no performance issues.

I respect that this is the alpha stage so I expected some problems that are showing up right now that I'm not complaining about, but still needs to be talked about.

The UI for the 1280 x 1024 in fullscreen cuts off on the right side, making certain features inaccessible to your mouse.

Sometimes the swing is not registering the mouse input, you sometimes have look to the sky to make an overhead swing.

The maps have unseen timers and when time runs out it always goes to the pit.

Swing chambers do not register.

Third-person attack collisions with the world do not match with the first-person collisions (it looks like your character is stabbing through the wall.)

After practicing some time in local I decided to kick it up a notch and tried online games, the low playerbase was to be expected on alpha, but the lag on low ping kinda concerns me. My computer can handle the game, but not the servers...