Mordhau

Gameplay video, bows, blood, greener maps and more!

569 2056
  • 19 Dec '15
 marox — Project Lead

We have some more footage of the game to show, and it's finally in a higher quality video format! In the future, we aim to make more videos showcasing various parts of the game together with voiced commentary by members of the development team.

But that's not all -- work continues on all fronts. A recurve bow has made its way into the game, and since we've never showcased the coloring functionality, here are a few example color variants players can create. Equipment has up to 3 colors which can be customized, and they range from things like changing the color of fabric to coating a sword's pommel in a golden finish, or in the case of the bow, changing the hue of the wood. The available palette of colors changes depending on the object, ensuring players can't choose crazy unrealistic types of metal or wood.

2.png

Gore plays a big part in Mordhau. To this end, we are updating our blood to make it more realistic looking. You may catch a glimpse of our new blood pools in the video that appear on the ground, gradually filling up. But there's also blood that appears on the characters, and above you can see a shot of our most recent experiments.

1.png

Among other things, we have been working towards some greener maps. So far we have shown some shots and footage from our "Pit" map, which looks fairly eastern and desolate. But that's not to say all or indeed most maps in Mordhau will look like that. We love forests and green pastures, and feel that they offer a great contrast to the gory aftermath that emerges after playing on those maps for some time!

4.png

5.png

Last but not least, Mordhau has made it to the Indie of the Year awards Top 100! This means we've entered the second round of voting and we'd appreciate it tremendously if you would consider showing your support by voting for us in the Indie of the Year awards!

3.png

241 468
  • 19 Dec '15
 Hiemal

marox you have the voice of an angel and you bring heaven to us in the form of mordhau. praise be to marox

91 280
  • 19 Dec '15
 Neo — Webmaster

Wow! That video is extremely well done. Can't wait to see the next one

BTW: Everybody can now comment on Announcements!

374 482
  • 19 Dec '15
 Monsteri

APPLES CONFIRMED

1 4
  • 19 Dec '15
 Lyon

Just wow, one of the nicest games I've seen up until now. Dying to try it out

1554 1654
  • 19 Dec '15
 Jax

fruit ninja game mode?
pls marox

3512 4344
  • 19 Dec '15
 ToLazy4Name

I might break my leg or something so I don't have to go to basic training if none of us are able to play it by the time I ship out.

743 760
  • 20 Dec '15
 Steve Pigeon

Views exploded, like holy schnitzel.

45 160
  • 20 Dec '15
 Vesanus — Level Design

Stunningly amazing!

Remeber to vote on IndieDB, lads.

1554 1654
  • 20 Dec '15
 Jax

@ToLazy4Name said:
I might break my leg or something so I don't have to go to basic training if none of us are able to play it by the time I ship out.

I'm going on a deployment soon, I know the feels. D:

4 3
  • 20 Dec '15
 Aria

Wow. Looks amazing, commentary is well done, and everything is explained and addressed.

4 4
  • 21 Dec '15
 Swanson

HYPEISREAL

1 1
  • 21 Dec '15
 daxdastardly

I know its early but i have two ideas i hope you guys will consider

1) feints that cost lots of stam
2) a tunnel map that forces close quarters and epic moshpit fighting

god bless

75 56
  • 21 Dec '15
 das

Feints aren't OP anymore, no need for them to cost more than 15 stamina or so.

3512 4344
  • 21 Dec '15
 ToLazy4Name

Yeah, if anything feints should cost LESS stamina than they do in Chivalry. In an odd turn of events, feints (unless they've changed drastically from Slasher) are mostly a tool to take out those of low skill, with even mid-tier players most likely being able to deal with them effectively unlike in Chivalry. Chambering has nerfed feints into the ground.

44 13
  • 22 Dec '15
 King

Yeah, you can read/chamber for counter feint, no need to nerf stamina. Hope feint gonna cost less stam than chivalry.

8 7
  • 22 Dec '15
 TheFatNinja

Looks great. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to smashing some heads with you guys. One thing I would like to inquire about though. Does armor give any bonus defensive capabilities? Or is it purely cosmetic?

569 2056
  • 22 Dec '15
 marox — Project Lead

@TheFatNinja said:
Looks great. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to smashing some heads with you guys. One thing I would like to inquire about though. Does armor give any bonus defensive capabilities? Or is it purely cosmetic?

Thanks! It does. Armor regions are: arms, legs, chest, head. Some smaller armor pieces are cosmetic, this includes shoulderpads, gloves, boots, lower chest (skirt). But the rest are very much relevant. We plan to have 4 tiers of armors: unarmored (clothes), light (leather & gambeson), medium (chainmail), heavy (plate). The higher the level, the less damage you take and the more it slows you down. Damage types modify this further.

8 7
  • 22 Dec '15
 TheFatNinja

@marox said:

@TheFatNinja said:

Thanks! It does. Armor regions are: arms, legs, chest, head. Some smaller armor pieces are cosmetic, this includes shoulderpads, gloves, boots, lower chest (skirt). But the rest are very much relevant. We plan to have 4 tiers of armors: unarmored (clothes), light (leather & gambeson), medium (chainmail), heavy (plate). The higher the level, the less damage you take and the more it slows you down. Damage types modify this further.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification,
I'm really looking forward to this game. It's almost a dream come true!

3 1
  • 23 Dec '15
 Fuda

By the look at alpha stage you can tell a lot about what ideas devs have in mind and how in general these ideas will be brought to life. It is really obvious that devs are focusing on bringing a really competitive title.

I hope that important elements such feints, drags, stamina consumption etc. will be showcased more detailed in the future. It is good that marox have mentioned tiers of armour and damage types modifiers - these are really important and practical elements and I hope that in the future "materiel" elements of the game will be given higher priority over the cosmetical.

Concerning feints:

Feints should cost less stamina in case of perfect swing / drag / release animation and proper netcode, because feints ought to diversify the gameplay, not ruin it. In Chivalry feints cost 15 stamina, and it is a proper figure, because some one-hand weapons or one-hand + shield loadouts are literally impossible to read due to poor animation and lousy stats, turning presumably skilled based duels into guess game. This is a flaw Mordhau should never have as a title that focused on competitive, not casual gameplay.

So far you guys are doing a heck of a job! Can't wait to get my hands on the game :)