Mordhau

What is Mordhau?

569 2056
  • 26 Oct '15
 marox — Project Lead

Mordhau

Mordhau is a multiplayer first person slasher. Design your own weapons and armor, then battle it out with other players in various modes. It features a deep and fluid combat system that allows those that master it to turn into an unstoppable force on the battlefield. The game is still under heavy development and our goal is to release it as a commercial title on Steam. There is no set release date as of right now.

Who is making this?

Mordhau is being developed by a small team of independent developers.

Combat

The player attacks with the left mouse button, flicking the mouse into the direction (roughly 120 degrees on the left side and another 120 on the right side, for a total of 240 degrees of control) they want the attack to come out just before clicking. That's a strike. The attack is now moving along, and can be manipulated in real-time by looking around with the mouse. The other attack type is a stab and it generally works the same way, flicking to either side to determine from where it should originate.

The phases an attack goes through are windup when the attack is preparing, and release when the attack is executing (and can hurt players and or be blocked). To block a weapon attack, the defender presses the right mouse button, and aims towards the point of the attacker's weapon that will connect earliest (e.g. the tip at a distance, or more towards the middle up close). Since a block only lasts so long, it requires good timing.

The attacker can manipulate their attack to slow it down (called dragging an attack) or feint the attack to bait a parry. But there's another way to block an attack, called chambering. If the defender mirrors the attacker's attack type and angle, they can block with an attack of their own, but this requires even better timing than a block.

Offense & Defense

This causes a pattern to emerge that works a bit like this: if the attack is threatening right out of windup, the defender may try to parry but they are very susceptible to a feint. Instead of parrying, opting to chamber such an attack will mean that if the attacker feints, the defender's attack will strike them, and if they don't, the defender's attack will block the attacker's -- win win! If on the other hand the attack is coming from further away, the defender can wait for it to enter release and reliably parry it, but if they are over-eager and try to chamber it, the attacker might re-adjust the arc causing the defender to miss the window, taking a hit instead. Actual situations that arise in the game might be somewhere in-between and it's never so clear in the heat of battle as to what the correct action is, but practice makes perfect!

There are many, many more aspects to combat, but these are the basics. As a notable example of some of the things not mentioned here: your weapons might collide mid-attack, which would lead to something called a clash from where follow-up attacks can be initiated by both parties, leading to an epic exchange of blows as the follow-ups also might collide in turn!

Customization

In Mordhau, you make your own class. A game that lets you show off your combat skills isn't complete without letting you design your own armor and weapons as well, and this is where customization comes in.

Weapon customization

You can create weapons out of parts and color each part, yielding a lot of possible variations. Swap out that crossguard with the one you really like, and why not give that leather-wrapped handle a nice red trim?

You pick your gear, and then it's time to design your armor.

Armor customization

There's plenty of slots to customize, from shoulder pads to armguards, gloves, boots, chausses, upper and lower chest pieces, helmets, etc. Hitting an unarmored spot will deal more damage, but armor also encumbers you and you move slower. Some parts influence gameplay in this manner whereas others are just for look.

Game Modes

And finally, all of this comes together on the battlefield in the form of a game mode. Since the game is still heavily under development, not everything has been decided yet. We have the standard modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Round-based last team standing, etc., but each game requires that one defining mode it is designed for. We'll come back and fill this in, or maybe you'd like to give some suggestions!

569 2056
  • 26 Oct '15
 marox — Project Lead

This topic has been moved.

569 2056
  • 26 Oct '15
 marox — Project Lead

This topic has been pinned.

13 11
  • 25 Dec '15
 ShariaLaw

game look great

90 46
  • 27 Dec '15
 Hero

I think it needs a team objective, and duel server. duels will help people get better rather quickly and team objective because who doesn't wanna siege a castle in such a pretty immersive world you have created. also, when can we expect a release date (season)? can we preorder? and hope for a open beta?

1 1
  • 27 Dec '15
 Haldor-der-Breone

the game look really great!

1437 936
  • 27 Dec '15
 mrjoe

@Hero said:
I think it needs a team objective, and duel server. duels will help people get better rather quickly and team objective because who doesn't wanna siege a castle in such a pretty immersive world you have created. also, when can we expect a release date (season)? can we preorder? and hope for a open beta?

About team objective, project leader said that they are making a flexible gamemode that supports a bunch of different scenarios, like sieges. They said nothing about release dates or early access except that they are looking forward to releasing on steam and having some sort of early access.

1 0
  • 28 Dec '15
 las

Give me CBT.)))

90 46
  • 28 Dec '15
 Hero

what about a RANKED LTS where you have to take it seriously?

934 435
  • 29 Dec '15
 CACommanderGuts

What hero said^ make clans an ingame thing? Like halo 2 did when it first came out?

44 8
  • 5 Jan '16
 Lilboots

Ahhh cant wait. Chivalry was/is such a great game, having a game with a much more unique combat is going to be great.

Blocking Projectiles will be unbelievable!!

512 1988
  • 5 Jan '16
 crushed — Art

@LilbootstheGreat said:
Ahhh cant wait. Chivalry was/is such a great game, having a game with a much more unique combat is going to be great.

Blocking Projectiles will be unbelievable!!

You can actually knock projectiles away with your attacks aswell ;)

374 482
  • 5 Jan '16
 Monsteri

Projectile chambering confirmed?

934 435
9 3
  • 8 Jan '16
 ﮎєяYoJimbo

Please please please dont leave out Team Objective. Mistake me if I didnt notice a forum about one. It wouldnt be the same playing a medieval game without one. If you think about it most of the active servers in Chivalry were mainly TO. Hell, most of my hours in chiv were spent in TO. I always got a rush and thrill war crying down the middle of the map with my team mates trying to win. Seeing all of the environmental changes during each objective made it so much fun. It would make Mordhau a REAL medieval game. I wouldnt even mind the same exact ones from chiv because thats all i really played. Plus, it would probably get boring playing TDM or DM over and over again. GO TEAM OBJECTIVE!

3 10
  • 12 Jan '16
 Prox

Stop teasing me, I want to play this now. I've played everything, Rune, M&B, Warband (CRPG mod), Dark messiah, Age of Chivalry Mod, Darkfall, Chivalry, War of the Roses and probably more. These types of games are the best and are not developed nearly enough. I've been waiting for bannerlord for years and THEY RUINED CHIVALRY COMPLETELY! I used to be able to fight my way through an entire team when Chivalry came out now it's just a spam fest. Age of Chivalry stands out in my memory for having a very steep learning gradient that went from average meat shield to Master and you could become almost invulnerable. I also joined the only clan I could find in AoC that could kill me back in the day.

Anyways, the hypes going to kill me, I'm so tired of waiting for games. I'll bug/first concept test for you for free and offer over a decade of experience and my opinion on what or how games of the past were not quite good enough.

My first opinion is LTS/Battle mode is the greatest mode you could have, 1 life per round makes people try harder in general. It's most important feature is working as a group/army or as medium sized squads/regiments with your clanmates/friends. Warband was so great because of the group combat, holding a shieldwall and charging with cavalry at the same time.

That said AoC had amazing objective maps, kill the peasants, assault the castle, free the king or one of my favourites Helms Deep. They also had siege weapons that broke walls for alternate ways to breach a castle, Chivalry was far too dumbed down.

In closing I and my entire gaming community would greenlight this and pay for an early access version aslong as the basics are atleast there.

2 4
  • 8 Feb '16
 BlondPanda

Will there be locational damage?
I've lost count of how many duels I've won or lost because either me or the enemy was stabbing the other person in the toe for maximum damage.
It looks stupid and it's annoying.

569 2056
  • 8 Feb '16
 marox — Project Lead

@BlondPanda said:
Will there be locational damage?
I've lost count of how many duels I've won or lost because either me or the enemy was stabbing the other person in the toe for maximum damage.
It looks stupid and it's annoying.

Head, chest/arms, and legs are on separate damage modifiers, otherwise it also depends what armor you wear on the body part that you get hit on (arms, chest, helmet, legs).

35 12
  • 10 Feb '16
 Aro

What version of DirectX is this written on?

UE4 can work in DX12.

743 757
  • 11 Feb '16
 Steve Pigeon

@Aro said:
What version of DirectX is this written on?

UE4 can work in DX12.

Would be really nice to have REAL DX12 Support, you know, boosts performance quite a bit for us AMD users, especially if you have a 4+ Core CPU.